Does your LFS have Schizophrenia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I have gotten used to going into different fish stores and getting different opinions on reef keeping and fish care from different people, but when i get 2 totally different opinions about the same subject from the same person i start to wonder if he knows what he is talking about.

3 weeks ago, i go into my LFS and meet with a couple of reefkeepers i know and we start talking about keeping healthy fish and using garlic in their food. The owner of the LFS is privy to this conversation and he chimes in saying that ALL the additives and garlic suplements for fish are useless. He said that they are no more than snake oils that fish owners are duped into buying for their tanks and that they are worthless.

Fast foward to today, I walk into the store looking for a PH test kit and i start talking with the owner of the fishstore about my fish wiht ick again. He tells me that the best thing i could do is to use Garlic Guard in all of my fish's food. :? He even said that he uses it in all of the food that he feeds to the fish in the store. :roll: I didnt confront him on his inconsistant stories I just let him talk. :foot: I was already using Garlic Guard in my fish's food.

Has anybody else had to deal with a store where they cant keep their stories straight? I'd like to hear it, and i'd bet others will get a good laugh out of it too.

He tells me that the best thing i could do is to use Garlic Guard in all of my fish's food. He even said that he uses it in all of the food that he feeds to the fish in the store.

Sounds like he just got a new product in.

Thats so funny. I would have brought up the conversation from before and asked what caused him to change his mind and do a complete 180 on the subject.

I dont want to confront him... I have limited options when it comes to LFS in my area, so I dont want any bad blood between us.

Ya thats understandable. I know how it is to have not so good resources local. I think there would have been a way to bring it up and not be confrontaional.

Give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's been using this site (or others) and has done some learnin' between now and then ;-)

I can kinda feel your pain. My LFS is in the process of converting to salt water, They hired a guy back in November and from what I have read, this site and talking to other people he knows his stuff. But he is it. I can go in and pick his brain for an hour or 2 at a time sometimes. Other times he is to busy to help me. The problem is no one else knows anything else about salt water especially corals. Plus him and I have a great relationship (lord knows I've spent enough money there) so he is always giving me discounts but no other employees will. Of course he works days and so do I. It just sucks If I want something and he is not around. That's why I count on you guys to answer some of my questions before I go in so I know what the hell I'm looking for. So thanks to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom