Done cycle...now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moo33284

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75g I want to turn into a reef tank. I have about 50# of LR and used a raw shrimp to cycle. Been about two Weeks and my ammonia and nitrite levels are now undetectable. My question is how should I go about lowering my nitrate levels safely? Can I do anything other than water changes? If not, how slowly should I change and when can I add something?

Also, I have one 48" blue actinic light and done kind of white light that came with the tank. What do I need for a full blown reef set up? Want to do anything I can to make this successful.

Any help is appreciated!!! :)

What's your nitrate level? Might need to do up to 50% PWC if they're really high. Then retest nitrates and make sure nitrates are below 20. Then after you do that, pick a fish, acclimate it and add it!! :) thats the really fun part!! only add a fish every two weeks or so, otherwise be adding too much ammonia for your new bio filter to handle.
Your goal for nitrates is of course 0, but everything I've ever read says below 40 won't harm fish. mine are usually around 10 and I've not had any problems with algae or cyano and nothing has died.

Hmm I was freaking out cause my nitrate was 15 lol guess its not so bad after all...

Thank you!

I honestly believe they might be around 40...can't remember exactly. Funny thing is nitrate was off the charts a few data ago while my nitrites were still high. Is it common for them to drop after nitrite comes down? I've also been adding microbacter7 every day for the last for days. Could that have helped?

Sorry for all the questions... I just really want to understand the chemistry part of all this. Thanks again!!

One more thing....wouldn't a huge water change all at once effect everything that was just obtained through the cycle process?

moo33284 said:
One more thing....wouldn't a huge water change all at once effect everything that was just obtained through the cycle process?

Not really. All your beneficial bacteria is on the LR and filter media, the free floaters in the water arent of any use. In proper cycling, its common to do a decent pwc once the cycling is complete. Just dont let your tank sit empty for too long or else youll lose some of your bacteria

Thank you!

I honestly believe they might be around 40...can't remember exactly. Funny thing is nitrate was off the charts a few data ago while my nitrites were still high. Is it common for them to drop after nitrite comes down? I've also been adding microbacter7 every day for the last for days. Could that have helped?

Sorry for all the questions... I just really want to understand the chemistry part of all this. Thanks again!!

40 is too high to be adding anything so I would be doing a good size water change and get them down to 10 or less before adding anything. No it is not common for them to drop. Nitrates can only be removed in a few ways, and the biggest way we use is water changes. others include carbon dosing, macro algaes etc. So i would be questioning your test kit or testing method. I would double check your water with another test kit or have your local fish store test it for you to be sure where your levels are at.

Yeah I'm going to do just that. Thought something seemed fishy... Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom