drain to sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjamn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning on having my tank drain to my sump directly from through my bulkhead to the sump with no overflow setup. Will this cause any problems.

I'm not sure about the overflow purpose on drilled tanks. Is it just so you are skimming off the top surface of the water?

To clarify, I will have a drilled hole with a bulkhead installed in the back wall of the tank, near the top of the waterline. This will drain down to the sump. My drain line and my return will have ball valves for adjusting the flow.

Is this setup OK, or am I missing something about these overflows on drilled tanks?
Any opinions on this are welcomed. Thanks.

I am planning on having my tank drain to my sump directly from through my bulkhead to the sump with no overflow setup. Will this cause any problems.

I'm not sure about the overflow purpose on drilled tanks. Is it just so you are skimming off the top surface of the water?

To clarify, I will have a drilled hole with a bulkhead installed in the back wall of the tank, near the top of the waterline. This will drain down to the sump. My drain line and my return will have ball valves for adjusting the flow.

Is this setup OK, or am I missing something about these overflows on drilled tanks?
Any opinions on this are welcomed. Thanks.

On of the functions is to keep the fish in the display. without a wier they can just swim down the overflow.

Upcoming take maintance:
1. top off water
2. check tank parameters
3. put fish back in display:p

I ordered the bulkheads as a kit. They do have a filter piece for the inside of the tank. I have 2 more questions.

1. Inside tank at the bulkhead, would it be better to have a 90 elbow facing up, with notches cut into it, acting as surface skimmer/overflow. Or, just leave the bulkhead 1/2 inch or 1" approx. entirely below the water line with no 90. Just the straight filter piece to stop fish from going in.

2. Outside tank at bulkhead, is it necessary to have a "T", with a vent at top of T, or would a 90 elbow going to sump with no vent be better.

I ordered the bulkheads as a kit. They do have a filter piece for the inside of the tank. I have 2 more questions.

1. Inside tank at the bulkhead, would it be better to have a 90 elbow facing up, with notches cut into it, acting as surface skimmer/overflow. Or, just leave the bulkhead 1/2 inch or 1" approx. entirely below the water line with no 90. Just the straight filter piece to stop fish from going in.

2. Outside tank at bulkhead, is it necessary to have a "T", with a vent at top of T, or would a 90 elbow going to sump with no vent be better.

Inside the tank I would do the 90 with notches, the "T" will not be needed.

I actually ordered my bulkheads/hole cutter for glass_holes.com.

I could add an overflow easily enough, nothing in the tank now. I am just trying to understand the point of adding the overflow. How would an overflow make a difference compared to having a 90 at the bulkhead facing up, with a strainer on it.

Also, overflow or no overflow, will the T be necessary with a vent thru the top. This will be for the drain on the outside of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom