driftwood mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendaquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting a new 20 gallon freshwater tank. I added a piece of fluval mopani driftwood to my aquarium. I did not know that I should boil the wood first until today. The wood had been sandblasted according to the seller. I soaked it in hot tap water for about a half hour just like I did my artificial plants. But I did not disinfect the wood by boiling or using any chemicals. I added a pouch of Marineland Bio-Spira bacteria and a used filter sponge from another tank I have. I am in day 4 of a fishless tank cycling. There is a slight cloudiness about the water and a thin layer of bubbles on the surface of the water. I'm wondering if I should remove everything and start over or if I might be ok since I washed the wood and soaked it in hot water. Has anyone else made this mistake? If so what happened?

I did nothing to my driftwood except rinse it clean in the sink. Apart from it being buoyant and needing weighing down, nothing bad happened.

Cloudy water is normal in newly establishing systems and will go away in its own in time. It’s not normal any other time.

The bubbles may be appearing because gases can’t escape from the surface. Usually this is because of a protein film developing on the surface.

You can agitate the surface using your filter outlet or add an airstone.

I did nothing to my driftwood except rinse it clean in the sink. Apart from it being buoyant and needing weighing down, nothing bad happened.
Same here. I just added some from the beach a couple of weeks ago. Washed the sand off and that was it. Most of it is floating against the lid, lol

thank you reply

Thanks everyone! I really wasn't looking forward to having to rewash all the substrate and decorations but I also didn't want to kill a bunch of fish when I'm through cycling and stock it. ????

Back
Top Bottom