Drill or HOB overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm curious as to whether or not it's better or more economical to get a tank drilled or get an overflow installed. I'm starting to get parts for a new reef tank (still another 2 years off but doesn't hurt to slowly piece things together).I know my first reef is going to be a 40 gal with a 20 long sump but I'm wondering whether or not I should just get the CPR overflow or not because I certainly see myself upgrading to ~100gallons in the next 4-5 years.

i'd use an overflow box, when you eventually decide to upgrade its easier to sell the tank if its not drilled or you can even use it as a DIY sump

definitely better to drill a tank than use a HOB unit. there are more than enough people who want sumps and will appreciate a drilled tank, if you want to sell it.

I'm with Mr_X. I had an overflow box on my previous 75Gal tank, it was ok but its always in the back of your mind, what if the siphon stops, something gets in there and plugs it up. My new 90 Gal tank I drilled, it was very easy and it works great.. I wont use an overflow box ever again..

Shane.

Drilled IMO, I've heard too many stories of the overflow boxes losing suctions and causing messes. Plus, they look nicer :lol:

Back
Top Bottom