Drilling a hole for overflow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanker99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just picked up a 40b today. I called my lfs to get an dollar estimate on 2 holes, one for overflow and other for return. They said $35 per hole. Is this too much? I know people are going say to drill myself but I honestly don't wanna deal with it.

Yeah, you could drill it on your own for like $5 if you don't have the bit. I know it seems bad, but I drilled a tank this weekend for a friend for the first time, and it was really easy.

Yeah I'm prob gonna look for a cheaper way. I thought that was high also. I'll see if I can find a glass guy or someone. Macscale I would drill it myself but I dunno if my drill is powerful enough and I still need to buy the bits.

Actually Macscale where do your friend buy the bits online or like home depot? I might try it myself.

Holy cow! I was going to say my wood hole saws are 10-$20.. Good to know mr x...

My family owns hardware stores, I've grown up in them. You couldn't pay me to buy a tool of eBay. It may be cheap but what about the quality? Is it gonna shatter the glass? Or is it gonna break after two rotations?

My family owns hardware stores, I've grown up in them. You couldn't pay me to buy a tool of eBay. It may be cheap but what about the quality? Is it gonna shatter the glass? Or is it gonna break after two rotations?
i don't think me x would recommend anything he would not use himself?? I personally prefer spending the extra money for something that is quality and will perform for months not minutes..
Edit- if you only need 2-3 holes out of it?? Why not..

I understand that I was just saying me personally. I'd prefer to pay the extra money for something that I can trust.

Am I correct in saying the holes are two different sizes? I'm guessing one is 45mm but what would the other be. Luckily enough I knowa guy that is willing to help me not destroy my first drill. Lol

Which holes are you speaking of? A 45mm bit will drill a hole for a 1" bulkhead, unless you use those heavy duty schedule 80. Now, will you be drilling for a return too, or coming over the top? I prefer coming over the top unless you have a rimless tank. Why drill another hole if you don't have to? I would just use one of these-
203300-CPR-Aquatics-Aquarium-Return-Jet-a_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom