dry base rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
im know this may be a stupid question but i dont wanna do something that im unsure of...i have 30 lbs of base rock coming to me tues. from hirocks.com and my tank is almost done cycling now (on the low end of the ammonia and nitrite peak) i know dry rock shouldnt have die off...but my question is does base rock need to be cured?? will i be ok just going ahead and putting it in my tank and letting the new bacteria colonize on it? this wont restart my cycle or prolong it will it? i have asked basically the same question before about the rock but i planned on my rock getting here at mid cycle and it seems to me like mycycle is coming to an end already

Yes it doesn't cure, it will slowly facilitate new bacteria and become live. It will not affect the cycle, can be added anytime. Just rinse it off well in a bucket of RO or treated tapwater to rid any dust from the rock. A good thing to do is put at least a little good lr on top of it so coraline algae, pods and other goodies will spread to your base rock. If you don't have any you may try a small order from liverocks.com

Back
Top Bottom