Dry live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have yet to get my tank but am picking up some dry rock tomorrow. Listed on Craig's list as dry live rock. My question is can I start making it live rock even though I don't have a tank yet. Putting it in a bucket with saltwater and a small piece of live rock? Will that speed things up? Would adding heater or power head help? Should I add in any bacteria?

Ty

Yes, this is something you can easily do. I used an old plastic container for keeping kegs cold in ice for mine.
You'll want to fully submerse all of it in water with a powerhead and a heater. Since you aren't set up, you might as well cycle the rock in there while you are at it! Toss in a raw cocktail shrimp and your cycle is off.

Ok that is what I figured. Will give me a bit of a head start when I get my tank and save me a few dollars since this rock is do much cheaper then buying the live rock at my lfs

Should I bother washing the rocks or is the dead stuff on the rocks good to help me cycle

Back
Top Bottom