DSB- How long before you have nitrate lowering effects?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank running for 6 weeks now. Nitrates are getting up to 10-15ppm. I am managing with water changes for now. I was wondering how long it takes a DSB to start providing some nitrate lowering effect? I know this a very slow growing bacteria that grows in the hypoxic area...but will this take weeks? months? years?

Just curious.

Thanks

What type of water are you using?
Maybe see if your lfs can test your water for Nitrates to see if your test kit is off or not. Your Nitrates should be 0 since you don't have anything in there yet.

Mike

I wouldnt be concerned over 10-15ppm of nitrates at this point. Your stil cycling to some extent.

If you cycled with Lr and you had some die off you will be showing some nitrates. Any fish?
4" IMO is not a real DSB and in a smaller tank you may not get the benifits from the SB you are looking for. And if it does kick in it will not remove all nitrates. Add a refugium this is the best way to help keep NO3 in check.
It was over a year in my 125 and 55 before I statred seeing gas excape from the SB. Not saying the SB is doing anything to help NO3.
6 weeks is way to early for the SB to be any help..... Still a new tank.

I am using RO/DI Water (TDS Meter reads 0 ppm).

The tank did cycle through...and since I added the Live Rock I seem to be having another small cycle...but started 5 days AFTER I added the rock. Ammonia is hanging around 0.25ppm...not allowing me at add livestock at this point.

I am having a wild bloom of Cyanobacteria and Hair Algae at the same time. Without a cleaning crew....I don't have much except that came with the rock for control. I am sure the Nitrate are causing some of the problem. I also have a 0.5ppm Phosphates in the tank for some reason. Using RO/DI...and no livestock...I would expect a nice big 0 ppm on the phosphates.

I was just hoping the DSB would kick in soon and take care of one of the problems. I put in a Poly Filter to take care of the phosphates.

Thanks

WC

RO/Di water this is good.. With the new LR it sound like you got some die off and that will cause a minicycle. Cyno can be brought on by excess nutrients, low water flow and wrong spectrum lighting.
Excess nutrients can be brought on from the lr die off. Do a few extra water changes to help remove the excess nutrients....
Don't expect the DSB to help with NO3 control.. If it does it will be months down the road.

For lighting:
I have brand new Coralife Lunar Aqualight with a 96 watt Actinic and a 96 watt 10k...so that should not be a problem with the Cyano. I think I will cut down on the lights for a while until the cleaning crew gets in though.

For Water Flow:
I have 2 x JBJ Dual output which provide total watermovement of 480 gph, along with the skimmer output with a Rio 600, giving me another 200 gph water movement for a total of 680 gph or 17 gph per gallon in 5 different directions.

Let us blame LR die off for my trouble at this point...I think I covered other bases. I have been just doing weekly water changes...I think will do some more frequent 20% water changes until things get better.

I was thinking the DSB was going to take months...but I wanted to be sure my information was correct.

Thanks

WC

Ammonia is hanging around 0.25ppm

Then your cycles not complete. Likly your experencing dieoff from the rock. It either wasnt cured from the store when you got it or you had it shipped via mailorder. Die off is not uncommon for mailorder rock.

Back
Top Bottom