Dumb ???: Water Changes - in what do you keep the water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have kept three freshwater tanks for a number of years. I'm finally going to take the plunge into Saltwater. I've been researching for a couple months and taking notes, but no where have I seen anyone answer this very simple question...

When changing the water in the tank, you should prepare the new saltwater at least 24 hours in advance. In what do you keep that water before you put it in the tank????? For example, say you have a 150g set-up. A 10% water change would be 15 gallons. Do you keep a bunch of buckets filled with saltwater until it's ready to be put in the tank? How do you assure it's at the proper temperature before putting it in, etc. if it's in multiple buckets?

I just use 5 gal buckets. You can go to wal-mart and get a big rubbermaid tub and use it instead if that is easier for you. You should use a PH and a heater to mix the water to get proper gas exchange. You can get a heater to get the water up to the right temp to match your tank.

Many guys just use a large Rubbermaid (or other) plastic can of appropiate gallonage and a wheeled cast beneath it so that its easy to roll from one room to another. Use a small pump to pump water out of the pail and into the tank.

Lifting heavy pails will hurt your back eventually and spilling the new SW is always a good thing to avoid.

I use a 25gal rubbermaid tub. Throw in a heater, powerhead and airstone for a day or so.

I use a generic big bucket. Put it in the tub on Friday, add a heater and ph, mix the salt and let it run for the weekend. I have a dolley that I wheel the bucket out in and use the old SW to clean out my filter.

Perfect. Everything you all said is quite logical. I can't believe I didn't see that written anywhere else. Thank goodness for forums.

I have a rubermade tub in my garage that I ran my RO water line to and I have an float switch attached so the tub is always at the fullest level....

I have a 1" flex tube and I just start a spihin and in 5 seconds a 5 gallon bucket is filled...then just carry it into house and dump... (3trips and i'm done)... be careful starting a sphin on a 1" hose with salt water, <yuuuuuuk>

Then i throw some more salt back in the tub and let it go till next week.

btw: i have a powerhead/heater in that tub..

You can be creative as possible... I was and still might... rig up a way so I can remove old water from the tank and not even have to carry it to my toliet/sink in buckets (i was going run a line right into my sewage line in my crawl space...

Then to fill put a powerhead and a hose...

PS. one thing others have mentioned is whatever container you use, dont keep it with a closed lit, the lack of air (o2) will cause PH problems

I have what for me is an even easier system. I got a plastic rubber maid garbage can that I mix everything up in. The can sits next to the tank during the mix process. I got a special "drinking water" safe 50" garden type hose. The hose hooks up to my water supply a couple of rooms away. Then the same heater, powerhead method for 24 hours to get everything stable. For the water change, the powerhead then pumps right from the garbage can into my tank. This way I don't have to move any containers of water or lift anything. Between water changes all the equipment fits in the garbage can which goes in the closet.

YourPalCM said:
Perfect. Everything you all said is quite logical. I can't believe I didn't see that written anywhere else. Thank goodness for forums.
I agree, it's amazing some of the common sense stuff I didn't think of and just ran across in a post. For example, I used to lug my bucket to the top of a 5 foot ladder, until I was at home depot and saw water pumps. I though, DUH, why not use that and I bought a dolley to cart the bucket. Instead of lugging it through the house! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom