Eahopps 300 wet dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello i found a cheap wet dry system. I was wondering if this will work for a sump? Also if so is it possible i can take out one of the wet dry compartment so i can add my protein skimmer and the last one for the return?

Depending on tanks size and your set up you don't need both chambers of media.
The problem will be that the PS should be in a section of sump that never has fluctuations in water level as that will effect the skimmers performance.
I run my skimmer in last section of my sump but I waterbridge a 29g to my sump to diminish the effects of evap.
You could always get an ATO for the sump if fluctuations are really a problem.
IMO the dividers/overflows are to control micro bubbles from re entering the tank.That may also be a problem with having the skimmer last in sump?

So would i be better to have the last compartment skimmer and return pump if it’s raised?

No the last chamber fluctuates the most .
If you pump to skimmer through hose then the effects may be less noticeable. But skimmers with pump attached may be more effected by volume changes .

Though it could work, I normally recommend against purchased sump systems. I made the mistake and it just didn’t do what I needed it to.
Tie this in with wet dry being obsolete tech, I’d rather a spare aquarium or sump made out of grade 2 plastics.

I have a 40 breeder that i was going to make into a sump I’m just not to sure how to make the baffles

Is there a proper way they should be up? I know i viewers some online where they had the overflow go into socks for the sump then the water goes up and over 3 baffles them under one after the protein skimmer to the return pump

Also what kind of sand can i use besides the live sand? Is it pool filter sand?

That’s a pretty basic setup. Nothing wrong with it at all.
As for sand, either of those will work. Keep in mind pool filter sand is silicate based and you’ll have a longer diatom bloom. Other than that, only difference is color and grain size.

That would work. Skimmer after the socks before the sponge and baffle which will function as micro bubble trap

I keep thinking i will just go to hardware store and do it myself but I’m not sure how to make something for the socks

Glass is not cheap as many think..Many buy tanks at the $per gallon sale just to harvest the glass for projects..
The socks /sock holders will cost you close to kit..
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...ahUKEwi7-Mmux__XAhXDMyYKHYefDJoQ0QwIMA&adurl=
I make my own and there are plenty of DIY sock holder vids out there.
For high flow and people without hole saws I really like the rectangular socks.
You might be fine with just one of those?

Back
Top Bottom