easiest corals to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefromga2000

Aquarium Advice Freak
what seems to be some of the "beginner" corals to get started with? i don't have my lights yet, but i plan to get these with income tax return money.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12779&N=2004+113352

like i said, i don't have them yet, but those are what i want. i want to get about 3 or 4 different kinds of corals, if possible, and 1 anenome, so i want to make sure that my corals are going to be safe. as many suggestions as possible would be great due to the fact that i have a very limited selection of what i can buy. thanks

I'm in the same boat you're in. I'm setting up my first SW tank, and am looking to house a few soft corals. Here are some of the suggestions I got....Polyps, mushrooms, zoanthids.
I looked at liveaquaria.com. They have little tidbits of info on lots of different corals. It'll tell you if they're easy to take care of, what degree of lighting, water current etc.....
It's not a die hard info spot. They sell them online. But it will give you the brief description. I'm looking to buy a book on corals that will cover every aspect of info I'll need. If I run into anything I'll let you know.

If you look in my gallery you will see all easy corals and all medium light corals. I dont like to get the hard ones. You`ll need an established tank for anenomes. Check out my gallery both of you. Easy corals. All LPS and soft corals

Gorgeous Pics!!!!!!!!! I loooove the blue linkia! That's one of the items on my wish list. Do you think it will be too big for my 20g?

Although I am crushed, I am not going with the blue linkia. ( :cry: sniff,sniff) Do you have any suggestions for a star that will be compatable with my tank? I like the bright solid colored ones.

As with a linkia this star can be difficult although not as much as the linkia.

If you do decide to get one something very important as with some sponges is to NEVER expose to air even if for a second. If you do it may appear to acclimate fine and die soon after FWIW

i actually look at that package a lot, but i'm in japan to which i cannot get livestock shipped to me. thanks for the link anyways though, i try to do some research on the stuff found there and then try to find it for sale here.

Mushrooms, zoanthids, and ricordia are excellent "beginner" corals.
Very hardy and very forgiving IMHO. (usually the most affordable as well)

FWIW, no anemone is 100% reefsafe.
All anemones sting, and all anemones wander.
The only difference is how active they are about wandering, and how strong their sting.

Just my .02¢

that is a good opinion to think about. i'll have to remeber that about the anenome when purchasing corals. i'm still researching, but i'm certain that i will get both. thanks again for all the input

Back
Top Bottom