eel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhomb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, im gettin a 55g next week and i would need informations on eels, ive seen 2 of em today at the lfs and i would like gettin one.

are they really hard to keep, wut they eat, do they grow fast, the one ive seen were about 6-8 inches long?

TIA guys!
later
Mark

i had a snow flake eel. he was awesome. easy to take care of never bothered my fish ( they were all larger). i fed him fresh frozen salad shrimp from red lobster. then the poor guy took a carpet dive. poor guy. moral of the story: make sure that the aquarium has a lid!

HTH
mark

do you know what type of eel it was?
i had a snow flake also, it ate, shrimp, scallopes, squid and loved octopuss.
its not hard too keep and i think they grow an 1" a month, a 55gal imo is too small for a 3' eel

snowflake will be fine in a 55 they are not gonna stretch out very often or swim alot so the 55 will be plenty big......just make sure it is covered and well i had the same problem as ohio reefer only i thought i had mine covered pretty well.....guess i learned my lesson

Boy I realize I am no expert but... I have had two snowflakes 1 in a fish only tank and again the eel was smaller then the other fish & he also did the carpet dive. When I found him he was crisp and dry. I put him back in the tank and after a few days and a shedding he was good as new. A very fun addition to a fish only tank., If you have a reef I would say no way.. I had one in my reef who did grow very large and did prey on the fish who did not grow as rapidly or as large. He was a nightmare to catch and hart breaking to get rid of. I felt guilty for days... If you have a reef I would say no way but that jmo.. Good luck

They are awesome animals. I almost got a snowflake a month or so ago but then researched a little and found it might kill my fish and invets.

reefobsessed said:
Boy I realize I am no expert but... I have had two snowflakes 1 in a fish only tank and again the eel was smaller then the other fish & he also did the carpet dive. When I found him he was crisp and dry. I put him back in the tank and after a few days and a shedding he was good as new. A very fun addition to a fish only tank., If you have a reef I would say no way.. I had one in my reef who did grow very large and did prey on the fish who did not grow as rapidly or as large. He was a nightmare to catch and hart breaking to get rid of. I felt guilty for days... If you have a reef I would say no way but that jmo.. Good luck

if you ever have too get rid of one do as i did, and put the food in the net and he swam right in

Back
Top Bottom