Emerald crab coming soon - anything I need to know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 10 gallon tank has been up for a few weeks. I added cured live rock a couple weeks ago. I assume when I have my water tested this week it will be cycled. Assuming it is cycled, I am going to be getting my first critter for my first salt water tank. I feel like when I brought my kids home from the hospital the first time: Excited but scared to death I am going to screw something up.

I am going to be getting an emerald crab first. I have never done drip acclimating before but will do a test run tomorrow for my weekly water change. I have done a fair amount of reading but now that I am ready to actually get the crab I am getting nervous about having missed some big thing that I am supposed to do.

Is there anything that I need to know about emerald crabs that wouldn't be covered by googling about them?

I don't plan on doing corals. Just fish and rock and inverts. But I will keep that in mind if I decide to go reef later.

Inverts should wait at-least a month after adding your first fish , this will allow time for food to build , remember new tanks have no food source it starts with the first fish being fed and waist is dis burst creating a food source,

As SniperHank said, they are opportunists and they will eat whatever they can get. I had one get my pygmy angel while it was asleep.

As SniperHank said, they are opportunists and they will eat whatever they can get. I had one get my pygmy angel while it was asleep.

I agree , but if it was fed properly it wouldn't go after fish , wouldn't you rather feed it than let it go after your fish ,
I keep a lobster he's got to be 8x the size of a crab , he can choose any fish he wanted as he's also a opportunist , he don't why is that he gets fed so he has no reason to go after fish ,

now like I said above in post 4 if there is no food in the tank the crab will starve , it can't be a opportunist if there's no food to eat

Back
Top Bottom