end of week 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amandry7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will do a water change tomorrow and asking u guys if its safe to buy a clean up crew, my parameters are 0 for nitrates and nitrites-amonia at .25 and PH at 7.8.

ForumRunner_20130220_173451.jpg

Last week i bought a couple of live rocks one of them had apatasia ofcourse but also the snail shown in the pic...its been a week and it still doing well.

You don't want nitrites or ammonia. A clean up crew will need to be fed or they will starve. Your tank is new so there really isn't a need for a CUC. Most people I think have this misconception that a CUC is need. There nice to look at and maybe at times helpful.

But for the most part it's for your viewing pleasure.

I am however seeing brown spots on the sandband glass don't think this os good what should o do

So a cleanup crew won't feed from the slgea of the rocks or help with diatoms

ForumRunner_20130220_174808.jpg

Should I change the water and clean the sick from the filter? Or leave ss is

So a cleanup crew won't feed from the slgea of the rocks or help with diatoms

A CUC may help with diatoms but it will go away on its own eventually. I know it's tough to look at but it's part of the process.

Should I change the water and clean the sick from the filter? Or leave ss is

Water changes will help somewhat. I wouldn't do anything to your filters though.

Wife just surprised me by getting a koralia wave pump flow rate 425 gph. Lady at the shop told her that is good for a 55 gallon tank, and that only 1 is needed. It looks pretty small and the back it says that it's for a 15-30 gal marine .... Should I return it or can I still use it?

Wife just surprised me by getting a koralia wave pump flow rate 425 gph. Lady at the shop told her that is good for a 55 gallon tank, and that only 1 is needed. It looks pretty small and the back it says that it's for a 15-30 gal marine .... Should I return it or can I still use it?

That's a nano pump. The koralia 425, it's weak and not enough at all for a 55. Return it, bad advice from the pet store and your going to want 2 power heads. One at each side of the tank to crate random flow.

That's a nano pump. The koralia 425, it's weak and not enough at all for a 55. Return it, bad advice from the pet store and your going to want 2 power heads. One at each side of the tank to crate random flow.

Thanks, funny, that's what my wife asked them and they said no, about the 2 heads and how small the head was...hopefully it was just a misunderstanding it's the closest store that we have... Will return today...what's a better buy, a skimmer or the power heads?

Thanks, funny, that's what my wife asked them and they said no, about the 2 heads and how small the head was...hopefully it was just a misunderstanding it's the closest store that we have... Will return today...what's a better buy, a skimmer or the power heads?

Well... Your gonna need both. You need to flow to maintain pH and to keep everything happy. But in a 55 your gonna want a skimmer as well... I'd say if its a budget issue. Do the power heads and then skimmer.

Well... Your gonna need both. You need to flow to maintain pH and to keep everything happy. But in a 55 your gonna want a skimmer as well... I'd say if its a budget issue. Do the power heads and then skimmer.

Agreed. In a 55, 2 Koralia 1500's will be good. You won't need a skimmer until you start to stock it, and even with a light bioload a skimmer won't do too much but will be good to get one on so it can break in.

Thank u all for ur advice ... Every time I think about running to the store and get some live stock u guys knock some sense into me...good to know that this is normal though...I do have a lot of life in the tank that I that came with the live rock I got last week, 1 turbo snail, 2 bristle worms, and a few small shrimps ( well what I think are shrimp)... It's been a week and a half and looks like more life is appearing, is it time for a skimmer yet?

I would want to leave the dissolved organics in the tank for the bacteria colony to feed on. It's a waiting game now.

I would want to leave the dissolved organics in the tank for the bacteria colony to feed on. It's a waiting game now.

That's always been my thinking in regards to running a skimmer durin the cycle. It's counterproductive, really. The skimmer pulls out excess organics before they can turn into ammo, nitrites, etc. but during a cycle, you want those things to turn to ammonia. So pulling them out with a skimmer seems to me that will prolong the cycle. Obviously it can be run, but I say wait till the cycle's done. :)

Of course if you have a skimmer you can run it with the drain plug in the cup pulled out so the skimmate just runs back into the tank. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom