epoxy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike1989

Aquarium Advice Regular
can anyone tell me what epoxy they use/have used or recommendations. looking to bond dry base rock. also looking for something local. Also a good epoxy resin to apply sand to pvc? Thanks

Haven't used epoxy to bond rock together yet. Though for applying sand to pvc would you be better off using clear silicone to bond the sand to the pvc? I think the silicone would do a better looking job. Just a though.

Would a GE 100% silicone work as long as it has no mildew resistance right? I know they have the putty lol. But I was wondering what kind people have tried what is safe for live stock. Stuff that you can buy from a local hardware shop etc.

One other thing does the silicone start cracking and peeling after it has been submerged for a while? thanks

Yes, use GE 1 silicone. Comes in clear and white. Either will work fine, but for what you're using it for, i think clear would work better. Make sure to get the version without mildew resistant junk in it.

I've used clear and white in my sump without any problems.

Well got it together. question can I soak the rock in distilled water(does it need to be a salt mixture?) just to clean any dust/decay that is still in it? I did find dead clams etc while I was working

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You don't need to soak the rock in saltwater to clean it

I would definitely soak it in water, or clean the rocks before you add it to the tank. I had a lot of junk on my base rock before i added it into the tank. I wish i had cleaned it off before.

well f me. had it all together used the epoxy from petco and jb water weld read on a couple different sites it was safe. and the ge silicone. Well had it in the tank set up. Come home from grocery shopping and everything is dead including my snails and shrimp! F**K. took the whole tank apart new water rinsed everything off. hope it will be fine after this. Disappointing to say the least. Could my live rock have died since everything else did?

Oh man! I'm sorry to hear that. Did you let everything cure for awhile before adding it to the tank? Did you happen to test the water just in case?

Never used the epoxy stuff myself, but i can't think of what could have caused the crash.

Yes, test the water and make sure u didn't ammonia spike or something

I did 100% water change cleaned everything. Ammonia was fine before I did this. Live and learn I guess. If I attempt at aquascape again I am going to drill and use rods lol! Will my cycle take as long if I kept my filter in used water?

Oh the hermit crabs did survive lol.

Mike1989 said:
I did 100% water change cleaned everything. Ammonia was fine before I did this. Live and learn I guess. If I attempt at aquascape again I am going to drill and use rods lol! Will my cycle take as long if I kept my filter in used water?

Oh the hermit crabs did survive lol.

What did you use to clean?

just rinsed everything off with cold tap water also emptied tank rinsed with tap water. and my filter media I rinsed in the old water then a quick dip in new salt mix. I did not use any chemicals. changed my sand bed also to 16lbs of live sand and changed my live rock in fear it got contaminated.

Back
Top Bottom