Evaporation Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have completely set up my new tank and am preparing to put the live rock in. Ive let the tank run with just water and sand now for about a week and am noticing a considerable amount of evaporation. Are there any tricks or things i can do/buy that will help the evaporation go down?
Any response is greatly appreciated

No, it's just something you have to deal with. The only thing I could even think of though, if lowering your water temperature.

What size tank and how much are you loosing .....

I top off about 2 to 2.5 gallons every morning on my 150 gallon system

90 gallon tank and large sump underneath. Lately I've been adding about 2 gallons a day.

I've been having to add 1.5-2g a day to my 90g system as well.

To help with evaporation you can add a glass top to the tank and sump if you have it. Of course that will also increase your water temp. You can also set up an automatic top off system, but I haven't done one myself so I'm not sure how to go about getting that done.

Glass Lids will definitely help ,,but they will limit your gas exchange, which i think is far more important....i would just do top offs like the rest of us(y)

Get or make an auto top off unit for your sump. This would help replenish the water in your sump/tank. Keeping the salt level stable!

What size tank and how much are you loosing .....

I top off about 2 to 2.5 gallons every morning on my 150 gallon system

thats alot of water that you have to top off. i've never heard of anyone with that much evaporation.
i top up about a gallon every 3-4 days

FTMMWS said:
Hmm,,IDK seems the people with 90's are are pretty close to it too

I lose nearly a couple gallons a day like I stated above, but I have a couple of 4 inch fans blowing air into my canopy directly over the water. I also have two power heads agitating the surface. With my large open sump, the sock bubbles because of pressure - flow (2200 gph), and my overflow is a two foot drop to the bottom of the tank (noisy). I use all this to help cool the tank, and it always sits at least 1 degree below ambient. I've experimented with different methods of slowing evaporation, but my tank temp quickly rises. With all this, especially if I run the a/c alot I lose even more. But still cheaper than a chiller for me.

Back
Top Bottom