evil carnivores of death and destruction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amp123dime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My damn emerald crabs destroyed my sea urchin after snipping off all of his pokey things then 2 teamed up and ate it up. Today I looked in my tank and my dog face puffer had a crab that he was shredding it into pieces and eating the meat and spitting out the claws. I have no idea how the puffer got the crab out of his shell. I guess maybe the evil crabs were a bad idea.

I am pretty sure the emeralds didn't kill the urchin, unless maybe there isnt enough food for them in the tank. But they would certainly eat it if it was already dead. I have a couple emeralds in my tank with an urchin and they dont do anything to it. Urchins lose their spines when they are sick/dying due to water conditions or lack of food.

And puffers do eat inverts, not reef-safe.

I have to agree also that something was already wrong with the urchin and the crab was doing what he does best, Scavaging. The puffer was doing what he does best also, Feeding. They are not invert safe as Lance stated.

I dont quite agree 100%

I have become semi knowledgable of water conditions I have a test kit and am constantly doing tests for water ph ammonia nitrates and nitrites. all within range I know that my source water has 5ppm of nitrates in it and my nitrates don't go above that unless I go longer than a week without cleaning my sponge and changing filter pads which I do every monday. I had my sea urchin for about 5 days before the crabs got to it. he was doing just fine and so was my water. one morning he was on the sand and the crabs started pinching off his pines until they were all gone and then he was lifeless yet still alive so I threw him away..... I checked my water and it was still fine. And come to find out I still have 3 crabs in my tank so the puffer must have been eating a shedded skin however it looked like there was meat on it?? but my crabs are all still there. And about a puffer being reef safe at my local hospital they have a puffer with tangs anenome's corals nemo's pretty much everything that the movie nemo had and some corals nothing too extravagent but a nice setup..........

I have saw plenty of horror stories w/ emerald crabs, especially as they grow. Very few crabs are reef safe, most are best kept w/ caution.
Puffers are not reef safe either, though it may have only been eating a molt this time. They will eat inverts/crustaceans, and possibly cause other issues. Commercial set-ups are a bad lead/example to follow.

I agree. How did you acclimate the urchin?
I have seen a few shed off of mine, but very rarely.

Hmm. I still think there was something wrong with your urchin prior to the crabs feasting on it and you only had him for 5 days. Maybe there was something wrong with it when you bought him. I have a couple small ones and two larger ones. If they are healthy then when you poke them the spines will go stiff as to deter you from hurting it. I have a short-spine urchin that I can't grab because the spines are so sharp. There are also several larger, not full grown but still large emerald crabs that don't touch them (shortspine and pencil urchins).

Come to think of it my neighbor has a 125 gallon reef with aggressive fish. He had a puffer (notice I say had ) in there with a couple damsels, a lionfish, a grouper, and a niger trigger. He had put in some urchins but the puffer took out there spines and they were killed. Ever seen ur puffer go near the urchin?

I dont really like the setups I always see at doctor's offices cause they always have bad matchs ups and usually too many fish. My barber shop has a 55 gallon that has a yellow tang, a puffer, a trigger, two o. clowns, a couple damsels and something else. You can see that the tang is starving and the tank has fake coral decorations, and there a diatoms all over the decorations. It is sad. I also saw a maybe 60 gallon at a doctors office that had a huge tomato clown, niger trigger, yellow tang, foxface lo, and something else. It was just too much for such a small tank .

unrelated subject

ok so I am keeping the dogface puffer and I have the right lighting for coral reefs. If the puffer eats the emerald crabs oh well at least I wont have to feed him for a day. I want to add color to my aggressive tank just basic sand and live rock is so plain and boring I want some corals I know the puffer is aggressive but towards shrimp krill and meaty stuff has anyone ever seen a puffer in a successfull coral reef enviroment. I just don't see the puffer eating the coral's I dont think they are part of his food group????????/ Do all the coral's require invertabretes that the puffer will eat. This is where I need some expert advise????????????????????????/

amp123dime said:
I just don't see the puffer eating the coral's I dont think they are part of his food group????????

Dogface puffer- "It is not well-suited to the reef aquarium as it is likely to eat many types of sessile invertebrates." from marinecenter.com
Sessile inverts include corals.

Roka64 said:
How did you acclimate the urchin?

Knowing this would help.??

Lance M said:
I dont really like the setups I always see at doctor's offices cause they always have bad matchs ups and usually too many fish
I totally agree. Most time tanks in businesses are more disheartening than peaceful or enjoyable b/c I notice those kinds of things (ie aggression issues, undefed/starving fish, etc).

Definitely, knowing the acclimation of the urchin would possibly tells us why his "pokey things" were being snapped off. When their spines fall off, or they are being eaten by something that usually wouldn't eat them (if he were healthy), we could guess that:
1. He was in bad shape from the LFS
2. He was not properly acclimated and became stressed enough that it couldn't escape/defend himself.
I do see your point that acclimation may have not been the problem. I should have started with how long has he been in the tank.
Personally, I think the urchin was already on it's way out (or already dead) and the crabs took advantage of the situation.

I've heard that urchins are very, very tasty and that's why they have the spines to protect themselves, without the spines they are just a nice treat.

???

I acclamated the urchin about 15 min from the time he was bagged up at the fish store. with about 1/2 tank water and 1/2 store water the container I had and the amount of water from the fish store wasnt enough since the urchin had such long pines. I then used airline tubing to start a drip and let it drip for about 45 min. then dropped him in the tank.. Also the lady at the store took forever to bag him up she had a really hard time since he was so pokey???? But it did last 5 days and the first 4 days he was stuck to the glass at times and moving around on the sand and rock at other times seemed fine. And like I said my water parameters seemed ok unless and urchin is affected by something other that nitrates nitrites ammonia ph and salinity and temperature. My temperature has been a stable 80-82 since I have had it set up my heater is pretty reliable????

Inverts should be dripped for at least 2 hours, I find this gives me plenty of time to get the tank ready.
Was it a long spined urchin?
What color, just curious?

it was a black urchin with really long pines and 1 eyeball looking thing in the center that looked green

Ok, it was a long spined urchin. Were you aware the spines contain venom? If healthy, he should have been able to ward off the crabs.

I was not aware of that So I guess my next question is what went wrong I dont understand why he died. Do you think it was because he did not get the full 2 hour acclamation// If I got another one and acclamated him for the full 2 hours would he have a fair chance at survival?? what else could have gone wrong Maybe the handling from the lady who bagged it she took like 15 min to bag him and I did not watch her????

My first thoughts would be the acclimation. Inverts take longer to acclimate because they are very sensitive to water parameter swings. I believe he should be able to defend himself from the puffer, but there is no guarantee. When they sense a threat, they will point their spines at the offender.

Roka64 wrote:
How did you acclimate the urchin?

Knowing this would help.??
Roka, I know why you were asking. I intended to pose the question again, though the way I wrote that, it looked as if I was asking why you wanted the info. Sorry.

Acclimation definitely could be an issue, especially if your tank has a different SG than the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom