Feather duster suicide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tristan65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a feather duster a week ago. Everything seemed fine for the first few days -- the feathers were out of the tube quite often. Two days ago, I noticed that the feathers were at the bottom of the tank, between two rocks. I was wondering if the worm had jumped out of its shell, been attacked, or had decided to relocate to a safer location... This morning, when I moved the rocks to check it out, I found only the feathers. The worm is still in the tube.

Is it dead? How did this happen? Should I leave the tube there to see if the worm with regrow some feathers?

I've had the tank only 1.5 month but water quality seems fine (I test regularly).

Thanks!

They can drop their feathers if they are stressed. They also regrow them under better circumstances. Probably the best thing you can do is just let it be - if you mess with it, most likely that will cause more stress.

I've noticed this post and another post about your clown. Please give us the specifics on your water tests. Sounds like you may have something going on.

I tested the water today to make sure I'd give you recent figures: Sal: 1.0235, 77.5 F, pH 8.2, Nitrite: less than .15 (lowest my test tube will show), Nitrate: less than 10 (lowest my test tube will show), Ammonia: 0.

I keep reading that it should optimally be between 74 and 80 so I keep it on the upper range at 78 or 79. Isn't that correct?

Back
Top Bottom