Feeding the fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sooju

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone feed their fuge? I took the plunge and added a mandarin to my tank and I want to make sure that my fuge is as hospitable place as possible for copepod reproduction. My tank is borderline to begin with (55G w/ 110 lbs live rock) so I'm planning to supplement his diet by purchasing (and potentially cultivating) copepods regularly. I'm worried if I add phyto or some other food to my fuge (it's an indirect one - gravity drain into the sump and small pump back into the fuge, low flow) that it will foul my water. I finally got my nitrates down to about 5 ppm and my corals seem quite happy!

I dont feed mine but all I have in my fuge is grape calerpa and a CC star. I`m sure a small bit of food gets down there through the over flows.

Phyto plankton is pretty much phosphates in a bottle. Copepods will survive and reproduce without adding phyto. If your system hasn't been up and running for at least a year you better have a regular supply of copepods added to the tank. I would add half of what you buy to the main and half to the fuge for several months and let the pod population explode. Even then you may be fighting a losing battle. The Mandarin can be a very tough fish to keep.

Thanks for your advice. When my first shipment comes (I ordered from aquaculturestore.com yesterday) I'll divide the pods between my fuge, the main, and my sump. I also added a ball of chaeto to my sump so there's another predator free place for them to reproduce. The only thing in the sump right now is a heater and the chiller pump so it's a mostly empty (except water of course) 20 gallon tank. The skimmer has been moved to a DIY 2nd sump on the other side of the wall (my fish closet). I'm doing all the research I can about pod production, both in and out of the tank, but if there are tips that others want to share, I'm all ears!

EDIT: I've only had the tank since September but it's been up and running for seven years now.

Back
Top Bottom