feeding time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
how do you guys feed your fish, i used to just put half a cube of mysis shrimp every few days in. would use RO water to thaw and rince off the cube in a fish net and then just dump it into the water but i realised that my two percs only get a little bit of shrimp. so i resently started using a medicine dropper. i put the net into the water and just suck up the shrimp and slowy squeeze it out around my percs.

this methos still doesn't work to well :( one is to afraid to come close and misses the food while the other gets some then swims off and comes back for more after. if i just dump it in my power heads and power filters blow the shrimp around the water

i just use ro water to thaw the cube and do a few spoonfulls into the power head current so it spreads around for everyone fish inverts etc

I heard some people just turn off all the PH so the food can sit still for smaller clowns to swim to them. I've recently got this new product (link below) from IO and its sort of like frozen food, but you dont need to freeze it. Its a gel and I just squeeze a tear drop size onto my finger and dip it into the water. Its soft so that if the food is too big for the clown, it'll break up and become smaller pieces. I just tried it today and they seem to like it more than formula one pellets and flakes

http://www.instantocean.com/sites/instantocean/products/productdetail.aspx?id=1294&cid=5383

hmm maybe i'll try that.; i usually feed them new life spectrum marine formula pellets when i don't feed then the mysis shrimp, they seem to really liek it and in 3 months they have doubled in size so i don't think i'll be takign them off the new life pellets any time soon. i think i'll give them this gel food though, there is no harm in variety right

I only tried this new product because my clowns are pretty small and have a hard time eating even the small size pellets. Another good thing I notice about the gel is that even when the clown spits it out into small pieces, it remains in little droplets so it would just sink to the bottom instead of clouding your tank with nasty stuff

how big are they, mine were abotu an inch mayeb a little smaller when i got them, they never really had trouble eating the pellets i gave them but they did spit them out often and eat them again. now they will eat liek 4 pellets at a time.

in a way i don't mind the floating food it eventually falls to the botton and my hermits, shrimp and nasarius snails eat them, it just seems that my perc eat less because they miss the floating food

My male is about 1" and my female is 1.5" The pellets sink pretty fast so they would never really have a chance to eat it. The female doesn't really have trouble with the pellets but the male hardly is able to eat due to the female eating everything and his size.

I just thaw a cube in a cup I've designated for my feeding. Pour a little in until they eat that then repeat until its gone. Seems to get everyone some shrimp.

i make my own food out of fresh fish, clam, and shrimp from the supermarket. everything eats it, including the LPS. i break off a little piece and hold it in front of a power head and let it break apart and float around the tank. 99% of it doesn't make it to the bottom.

i make my own food out of fresh fish, clam, and shrimp from the supermarket. everything eats it, including the LPS. i break off a little piece and hold it in front of a power head and let it break apart and float around the tank. 99% of it doesn't make it to the bottom.

you put in the blender and freeze it?

I turn off the main filter and just leave the power heads running during feeding time. I use Rod's Food (frozen - like home made) and feed twice a week. I break off a piece and thaw it in a cup of tank water. I then spoon it into the tank over about 5 minutes. Everybody gets some and the small bits are for the polyps, lps and sps.

I then turn the main pump back on about a half hour later.

i recall you making your own food, i also want to do this but i want to finish some of the stuff i have before i do this, i was also going to ask you for your recipt but you posted a few of yours already so no need to :)

every time i make food it's a little different, depending on food availability and the fact that i like to vary what i feed. last time i used haddock, shrimp, scallop, clam, squid tubes, and selcon. i also use nori on a regular basis, but i put that on a clip, not in the mix.
i think fresh frozen food is much better than flake or pellets, as far as nutrition goes, and i think it's much better for overall tank health. not to be confused with LFS frozen mysis or similar, which is not food grade and is frozen in nasty, dirty, water. my frozen food is clean, and doesn't stink.

hmm you may be right but i've been feeding my clowns the new life spectrum and they seem to really like it and are growing like weeks. their slime coat is thick and they have a beautiful glow even in my single 18" T8 light

I've tried frozne cube food, after draining out the crappy water it comes in, but my clowns, goby and blenny want no part of it. Are the clowns still too young and small? I'd like to vary their diet from NLS flakes and NLS pellets. I also put in a algae sheet every other day and the blenny, goby and sea hare eat that...

Back
Top Bottom