Filling up new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, this might be a stupid question but I am getting ready to set up a 75gal tank and is there an easier way to fill it than mixing 4 gallons of water with salt in a bucket and pouring it in.

Can I just fill the tank with ro/di water and add the salt once it's filled?

You certainly can, just make sure you only fill with water then salt, no rock or sand (unless they're dry rock/sand) until after it's been mixing for 24 hours

Dry rock? Do you mean base rock?

I was planning on rinsing out my sand and throwing it in the tank before filling. If I can't Thats fine. I can deal with a cloudy tank for a few days.

Also I know I should keep my light off when I start the cycle but should I have my protein skimmer off as well?

Well, if your base rock is dry, then yes. If you're referring to base rock as in large pieces of LR, then no.

Rinsing would be a good idea, it will cut down on the sandstorm significantly.

Good call on the lights, it would cut down on the cycling diatoms and not waste energy and bulb life for no reason. You can certainly put your skimmer on, if it's a new one it'd be a good idea to do so so it goes through the break-in period while you're cycling

Well, if your base rock is dry, then yes. If you're referring to base rock as in large pieces of LR, then no.

Rinsing would be a good idea, it will cut down on the sandstorm significantly.

Good call on the lights, it would cut down on the cycling diatoms and not waste energy and bulb life for no reason. You can certainly put your skimmer on, if it's a new one it'd be a good idea to do so so it goes through the break-in period while you're cycling

i don't agree with runnign the skimmer, the "break in" of a skimmer is the bubbles coating the neck of the skimmer with skimmate so that the bubbles have a grip to flow to the top, during a cycle there will be tons of organics thus tons of sticky bubbles that will quickly "break in" the skimmer and remove the organics before they are broken downb into ammonia

Yes the skimmer will be new, so when would be the best time to turn on the skimmer after the cycle of near the end of it?

Is there a LFS that sells saltwater? I know it is an added cost of starting a new tank but it is a lot easier than mixing up enough water to fill a 75 gallon tank.

There might be one that sells some but I have a mustang and I don't want to make 20 trips. Add the gas and that's a crazy added cost.

See if you have any farm type feed stores in your area.Usually you can pick up industrial strength barrel from them fairly cheaply that they received feed in.I have a 50 gallon one I mix my salt in my ro water and then put a pump in it and pump it through one half inch plastic tubing to my aquarium.Makes water changes easy.

Good idea I was gonna do the same thing but with a 5 gallon home depot bucket. Just not for the initial fill.

Oh right. Brain fart. Ill most likely pick up a 30 gallon plastic bucket.

Back
Top Bottom