Film on Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure what it is, but it's clear to the eye until you see it from a side angle with the tank lights. The stream from the powerhead makes a "dent" in it (think of a stream flowing into a lake in winter where the lake is frozen, but the flow from the stream makes a bulge of unfrozen water into the lake)
Is this what a protein skimmer eliminates? Is this a problem?

A skimmer would take that out, make more surface ripple and it will keep it off the surface.

I agree with Scott...surface skimming will keep the surface crystal clear. But pointing some of your flow towards the surface will help also.

Do you have a sump and/or a protein skimmer?
You need more surface agitation as has been stated to break up the film. You want to get the surface rippled.

I have the one powerhead pointing out and up and it ripples the entire tank surface. Then I have the filter rippling even more. Sometimes I get seasick looking at my tank :).
Seriously, I guess I need either a skimmer or more surface action. My tank is very small at 20 gallons. I'm not thinking about installing a sump or anything elaborate, but thank you all as always

At 20 gallons I don't thing I would add a skimmer either. More surface agitation would help break it up, but too much and the water will be sloshing out of the tank. A paper towel skimmed across the top would probably help get some out.

Back
Top Bottom