Filter change causes stuff to scatter everywhere- Is this OK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 37g with an Eclipse hood in an established tank (well, 8 or so months established). About 5 months ago, after full cycle, I modified my filter cartidges - removed floss from two of them, and every 2-3 weeks replace the active carbon in the cavity between the two - kind of a carbon filter sandwich.

When I remove the old filter, a ton of stuff - looks like some old food particles, white flakes, etc. gets spewed out from the filter cavity into the tank. It takes about 1/2 a day for the water to clear up, when, presumably, all of this debris floats to lr crevices or ls.

I just want to make sure this is normal and/or OK.

Thanks

It's quite normal and one purpose for mechanical filtration. They trap foods and detritus allowing it's removal from the system. As far as debris getting into the tank, it wouldn't cause too much a problem but water tests should tell you what you need to know.

Easiest way to avoid it is since this is a HOB, turn it off and remove the filter from the tank when changing the carbon. You can easily dump out the water and replace if with new SW, just don't rinse in FW.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom