Filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is everyone using in there power filters for MEDIA. im using just carbon. Should i be using something with it?

Carbon doesn't work in saltwater tanks, not sure why just remember reading somewhere that carbon doesnt remove ammonia in saltwater. If im wrong im sure someone will correct me.

Depending on what type of tank set up you have, carbon can be more or less helpful. It is certainly not harmful and helps in removing a lot of dissolved chemicals from the water. However, back to the basics of filtration, would need to know what you tank set up is like. Do you have LR, LS etc. Usually with any filter, you want a combination of mechanical filtration (to remove the suspended waste matter from the water - usually done with some type of synthetic floss), chemical ( GAC) and chemical ( the colonies of bacteria that helps to convert dangerous ammonia and nitrites into less harmful nitrates - Usually done by having some sort of media e.g. bio-balls that the bacteria will populate, or in some cases porous ceramic bullets etc). Again, would need to know more about what you have set up.

Media

Tank is 40 gallon ,20lbs. of crushed shells and 20lb Live agronite.
Magnum 350 filter
maxi jet power head mp900
seaclone 100 skimmer
40 lb. of live rock
( im useing activated carbon know)

Let me know what you think i should run for media. Thanks Dewey

What I think you should consider is the following. Assuming that your tank is fully cycled, the LR should work to help you deal with the Nitrate build up in the water. I would continue to use the GAC (just be aware that if you are adding additives and trace elements to the tank, this will probably remove it from the water - some people do not use the GAC but infrequently) but also use the sleeve they sell for this filter that surround the Carbon container. This sleeve will serve to trap and remove the suspended "large particles. It will also serve as a nice bed of bacteria, helping with the denitrification process, especially as water is forced through it and not around it. So simple fix really to get you all set up. Remember when you change your sleeve filter do not do that the same time you change your GAC, as you want to give the bacteria a chance to re-populate the new filter. HTH 8)

Back
Top Bottom