Filter media to avoid with cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a 36G FOWLR. Planning using Dr Tim ammonia and one and only. Also using a Fluval 307 canister filter.

Are there types of media that I should leave out during the cycle process. Planning on leaving the Bio filters in, taking the chemical filters out and maybe leaving the mechanical media in as well.

Any advice is appreciated.

I would set up the filter as you plan on using it once you have fish.

Chemical media is only of use if you have a particular reason. Unless you need it (for example removing tannins from driftwood) i would leave it out both during cycling and when you have fish.

Check out the video of how he suggests to use it.

Long story short, you want the most surface area available to you when the bacteria is colonizing the tank. Any sort of pre-filter (filter floss or filter socks) should be removed since those are things that you will be changing out during routine maintenance and you don't want to remove the good bacteria before it has a chance to settle in.

He also suggests to not take anything out for the first few weeks (3-4 weeks).

Totally agree with Aiken Drum and personally stopped using activated charcoal many years ago.

Last edited:
Activated charcoal does great for keeping the water clear, but I feel like it dries out the fish mucus layer over time, I noticed my fish getting much more vibrant when I removed the carbon. UV filters are a great alternative for that water clarity.

For cycling, if you can get your hands on some substrate from a nearby lake or pond (just a tiny tiny bit) and drop it in, it’ll give you a quick bloom.

Turning up the heat in the tank, (to like 82-85*f) and if you can, direct sunlight will bloom those bacteria’s real quick.

The longer you can resist adding fish, the easier it will be to keep them safe and healthy as your system adjusts

Sponge filters are fantastic adds also.

Activated charcoal does great for keeping the water clear, but I feel like it dries out the fish mucus layer over time, I noticed my fish getting much more vibrant when I removed the carbon. UV filters are a great alternative for that water clarity.

For cycling, if you can get your hands on some substrate from a nearby lake or pond (just a tiny tiny bit) and drop it in, it’ll give you a quick bloom.

Turning up the heat in the tank, (to like 82-85*f) and if you can, direct sunlight will bloom those bacteria’s real quick.

The longer you can resist adding fish, the easier it will be to keep them safe and healthy as your system adjusts

Sponge filters are fantastic adds also.

This sadly isn't freshwater, these tips lead to issues in saltwater.

307 keep the sponges they are good quality store the carbon you may need it at some point but only in specific cases ( remove water staining and remove chemicals if you have had to treat tank)bin the rest Get some good sintered glass media for the trays and you good to go

Another quick tip do not buy fluval replacement sponge, you can buy pond filter sponge a lot cheaper in sheets and cut them to size if you need to replace

Back
Top Bottom