Filter noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was am looking at getting a new 125 gallon all glass aquarium with dual built in overflows, and a MegaFlow sump. Is this a pretty quiet system? My girlfriend hates it when the aquarium is loud. Is there anything that is quieter that anyone can recommend.

well. It all depends where you plan on locating the tank. If it's in the livingroom, I think it'll be an uphill battle against your GF on any tank as far as noise s concerned.
not only do you have the overflows making some noise, even with silencers, but you'll have the humming of the pumps you buy unless you spring for some real nice ones.

That is really dependent on the equipment you buy. The system will not be loud but the pumps may be. Ampmaster pumps are very quiet

I have a 75g oceanic rr setup with one overflow and an all-glass megaflow sump right now.
It's filling with water as we speak but will be circulating water tonight.

Using two SEIO Super Flow Pumps (Model M620 - 620 gph) in the tank and for the return a Mag Drive Pump 950.

I'll let you know in the am how it went tonight... the tank is right outside the bedroom door.

The water noise from the overflow into the sump was loud at first, slushing and sloshing about, but I was able to adjust the return valves to the tank and that fixed it. No more sloshing or water noises. I bought my megaflow sump used and it didn't come with bioballs, I've thrown some base rock in there where the balls were. Without the rock or anything in there it makes quite a bit of trickling running water noise.

My SEIOs weren't working when I first plugged them in.. or so I thought... thats how quiet they are.

Now that Mag is a regular party favor. It's vibrating against the wall of the sump pretty darned good.

My thought is to put a sponge of sorts on the bottom and sides of it to dampen the vibration.

If I could get that vibration fixed, I think the 'noise' would be VERY resonable.

I dont have any pump noise but I do have the water noise and I love it. Very relaxing

With the tank running for the first time last night, even with all the vibrating noise, it still wasn't too loud.

No more sloshing or rising and falling of water since that initial adjustment.

SharkMan, I'm guessing with the dual overflows, if you are going with the megaflow sump you'd get the model 4? just curious. Mine is the model 3 as I only have one overflow.

Make sure you have a ball valve on your return line and you'll be set.

I can't comment much as my tank size is 29G, but the Fluval canister filters are really quiet.

I wrapped mine up in memory foam and put tape over it so the vibrations from it's body get absorbed. Also, squeezed the output hoses between two blocks of memory foam to further stop vibrations, and routed them so they don't touch the cabinet.. or it will act like a big drum being vibrated by the hoses.

All in all, I have ZERO noise from 2-3 meters away. My Dolphin 560 pump is coming tomorrow.. it's external/internal, so I will immerse it in a small tank with rubber/foam on the bottom just to block it's noise/keep cool, and hook it up to some custom piping.. I'm expecting zero noise out of that one too, with plenty of water movement.

That's so far my solution to a bedroom tank:)

It also makes things nicer as I dont have any powerheads inside the tank taking up room, and maybe the fish will appreciate the complete silence.

Back
Top Bottom