Filter Sock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting on the sump and refugium set-up for my 240g this weekend. The prior owner had a wet/dry setup as the first thing the water hits underneath and I want to go with a filter sock instead. I'm looking at the pre-fab units and see that they offer one or two inlets. My 240g has two overflows, but the prior owner had them meet at a Tee and then water went in through the single outlet.

Does anyone see any advantage to having the two overflows each having their own inlet into the sock? I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing something, as I don't see a point to having them each have their own.

Bulkreef supply makes a filter sock holder. The holder actually comes with 2 sizes a 4 in plate and a 7 in plate. I have two of them on my 125. They also have pretty decent prices on socks as well.

So you have a separate sock for each? I had not thought about that possibility.

What I saw was a 7" CPR sock holder, but with two inlets dumping into one sock. I am wondering whether that would be better than just having both overflow pipes meet at a Tee and then go into one inlet and then into the sock.

I didnt do that way, so im sorry I cant answer ur question. Hope u get the info u need. I have my overflow pipes go in my socks.

I used to run 2 overflows with 2 4" filter socks. I've since changed everything to 1 overflow with 1 4" sock. I change socks every 5 days. I'm actually thinking about using 7" socks instead.

I am going with one 7". Its more a question of one inlet per overflow or make them meet and dump in through one. I can't think of a reason to go with two inlets, but they make two versions...not sure why. If there was a good reason for two, I'd like to know before I buy one.

Back
Top Bottom