filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi in my juwel rio125 i have the standard bibflow 6.0 filter system not reslly good for marines i dont think.. iv added the green nitrate removal sponge but iv heard that some people remover all sponges and add there own media so i w\s wondering if i should remove my standard media and what i should add..

I have a hang on filter, but there is nothing in it other than rowaphos constantly and carbon 1 week per month.

Don't run any floss of sponge at all, my skimmer deals with all the chunks etc.

Use small pieces of live rock for more beneficial biological fitration. Get rid of the sponges and bioballs!

Actually, I run the sponges and filter floss in my tanks. It gets rid of the particulate matter that will float around your tank. In saltwater the live rock is about 80% of the bio filtrations adn the filter is pretty much only for catching large particles and for running chemical media like GFO or carbon. :)

carey said:
Actually, I run the sponges and filter floss in my tanks. It gets rid of the particulate matter that will float around your tank. In saltwater the live rock is about 80% of the bio filtrations adn the filter is pretty much only for catching large particles and for running chemical media like GFO or carbon. :)

Yes, that is true to an extent. Floss and sponge will remove detritus etc. however, without proper and prompt removal and cleaning of this media, nitrates and phosphates levels quickly mount up. If anything, use a filter sock and replace every few days. This is a lot more convenient and easier to do, in my opinion.

I never advise anything, I only state what works for me.

I don't want floss and sponge harbouring crap releasing nasties into my water.

The view I've always had is that media like that belongs on a freshwater tank only.

It's just opinion though, the same as I'd never put sand in my tank, BB and huge flow all the way as far as I'm concerned, then huge amounts of crud don't get chance to build up in the first place.

bb whats that mate and if you dont use sand what substrate do you have. if i have huge flow wont it be to much for corals and fish to swim against.. so you would remove all the filtermedia and replace if with what if anything..

BB = bare bottom, no substrate.

No sand flying about.

Do you think our little boxes can get anywhere near the flow in the ocean? The fish and coral don't struggle in there do they?

My tank, note no sand....

img_1700390_0_87867caef00412d0509938bcd5106cf3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom