Filtration advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaylam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Afternoon guys,

Boring day at work so reading up on things I may have missed regarding saltwater tank setup that I will be starting sunday.

I just read an article that filters should not be used for saltwater setups?
is this true? I have a Ehiem Pro 3 comming (Eheim GmbH & Co. KG | EHEIM professionel 3 (GB) 2071 2073 2075) which has a sponge filter and draws for media.

However on reading an article on another site they have said dont use external filters on saltwater setups just use live rock as external filters can cause the nitrate levels to rise?

Is there any truth to this? and am I ok to use the filter I have ordered?

Jay

Canister type filter are usually not recommended for saltwater setups. They can trap all kinds of crap and cause nitrate issues. They can be used, but must be cleaned very often.

Afternoon? It's morning here. ;)

Canister type filter are usually not recommended for saltwater setups. They can trap all kinds of crap and cause nitrate issues. They can be used, but must be cleaned very often.

Afternoon? It's morning here. ;)

ok cool so it can be used as long as its cleaned out say once a week?

Sorry keep forgeting the majority of the people on here are in the US.

lol, i'm just finishing my first cup of coffee. Yes you should be alright with that, just make sure you keep up with the maintenance on it. If not they become nitrate factories and can quickly foul up your tank.

Thanks guys, does anyone have or know where I can find a spreadsheet that I can keep in the tank cabinet of the sort of weekly, monthly, quartley and yearly checks/replacements I should be doing?

Can't you just replace all the media with rubble rock and put a micron bag at the intake for a canister? I'm thinking of doing this on my nano.

Back
Top Bottom