Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildreb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After 4 plus years of research I think I am almost ready to start my first tank. However, with all this research it is almost impossible to determine what I need for filtration since no two books agree it seems.
I am going to run a 55g system with at least 75 lbs of live rock. I do not have room for a sump and that is where my issue starts. I know I need a protein skimmer but what other filtration beside skimmer and live rock will be required to be successful?

A 55g isn't a good footprint for a reef. I've read people say they hate theirs,
Some love it. I think it's because it's thinner then most.

A 55 is a fine tank for a reef. It is what I'm running, though I can't wait to go larger later on. Going with a skimmer and enough live rock, 1 lbs per gallon, will be good enough to run things. Just make sure you are ontop of your water changes and keeping nitrates as low as possible.

Thanks. Was what I thought just making sure. Keep seeing people talking about canisters but they seem to add problems instead of helping depending on who you talk to

I'm using 2 filters that hang on the back and 2 small skimmers. Seem to be fine.

Can't remember the models. I'll check when I get home and let you know.

I started FOWLR and am just starting to convert to reef

I have 75 lb live rock
50 lb live gravel/sand
2 400 gph circ pumps
2 small skimmers and the 2 hob filters

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394319779.453948.jpg
This is what I'm running on a 44 gal marineland 280 reef octopuse 100 44 lbs of live rock and 40 of sand 1 wp25 and 1 wp10 I alternate day and night

I have a 55 gal fowlr right now as well. I have 50 lbs of live rock , a protein skimmer and an eheim 2227 canister filter. All 3 combined my system is crystal clear. Canisters a great filters you just need to make sure you stay on top on water changers and rinsing the filters pads in tank water every 1-2 weeks not that bad

Back
Top Bottom