Finally decided to do Saltwater just need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok here goes. I have a 60 gallon fish tank, an ehiem 2233 canister filter, two powerheads, UGF, heater, and one florescent light. I know i need a protein skimmer also. Does that sound like a pretty good starter setup or do i need more. I have been reading webpages for about 3 weeks now and i realized it is time to ask for help. Please help me. Also what is a good but relatively cheap protein skimmer? Even if you can send me links to great websites that give you step by step instructions on how to set it up that would be great 8O

Wow... very similar post to the one i just replied to hehe. Ill just cut and paste the same reply =)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
i also started w/ a undergravel filter and cc, but after reading much about it decided to switch to a deep sand bed for two reasons. The cc can be a big pain to clean and can produce lots of Nitrate later on. Two, the dsb houses beneficial bacteria which acts as a biological filter. So I suggest that you change from the cc to a DSB.

Do you have and Live Rock? It is also a very good source of biological filtration and almost necessary to a SW tank. It houses lots of bacteria and little critters and also gives the fishes place to swim around and hide in.

What kind of a tank do you plan to have? fish only or one with corals?

To get your tank to start cycling you should go to the grocery and get 1 RAW shrimp and throw it in your tank. That will get the ammonia going which is the start of the cycle.

I just started my first tank about 6 weeks ago and had all of those questions and many many more hehe. I suggest that you just read lots and lots of posts on this site to learn as much as you can. The people here are very very good at this and are great at answering questions!

If ya wanna PM me any questions about startin your tank up feel free to as i just went through it and have learned a lot =)

Good luck!

Ross

I bought a CPR BAK PAK skimmer. It was $120, not cheap but i was told it was one of the better ones. I figured if i bought a cheap one and it didn't work, i would end up getting a more expensive one and i would be spending even more money!!!! The BAK PAK is really easy to put together, i had it set up and running in my tank in about 5 min!

Back
Top Bottom