finally going marine!!!! just need some questions answering!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryans-planted-tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
iv decided to go marine, and i am going go for a reef set up! i have chosen my new tank its going to be a Fluval Profile 850 in silver. its a 232 ltr tank with a Fluval 205 external filter.

my questions are.

1 am i right in thinking about 25kg of live rock would be ideal for natural filtration?

2 will i be ok instead making my own water getting it from my lfs all of the time for water changes?

3 should i get a constant flow wave maker or one that changes flow on timers? and how many litres an hour will be ok for the size of tank?

4 do i realy need a protein skimmer as i have read that they do ok with out them because some sort of bacteria will eventually play that part?

other than the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate what other main things will i need to test for a heathly reef system?

what is better crushed coral or live sand and what size would be best?

i will be getting the tank in the next 5 weeks as moving house so thought its best to wait just doing my research in the mean time! as always knowledge is power! thanks ryan.

Ok about 25-30 kg of live rock sounds about right. For a tank as big as yours a protein skimmer is definitely needed. Live sand is the better option but crushed coral is adequate it just means you will have to wait longer until your nitrite is perfect. You should be testing for nitrite, ammonia, ph, hardness, phosphate and magnesium. Nitrate is only really necessary after your nitrite is ok.

In terms of water if you can be bothered to go to the shop every week it is better to do so because you are guaranteed to get the right amount of salt in your water and it isn't that much more expensive.

daisytron said:
iv decided to go marine, and i am going go for a reef set up! i have chosen my new tank its going to be a Fluval Profile 850 in silver. its a 232 ltr tank with a Fluval 205 external filter.

my questions are.

1 am i right in thinking about 25kg of live rock would be ideal for natural filtration?

2 will i be ok instead making my own water getting it from my lfs all of the time for water changes?

3 should i get a constant flow wave maker or one that changes flow on timers? and how many litres an hour will be ok for the size of tank?

4 do i realy need a protein skimmer as i have read that they do ok with out them because some sort of bacteria will eventually play that part?

other than the ammonia,nitrite,nitrate what other main things will i need to test for a heathly reef system?

what is better crushed coral or live sand and what size would be best?

i will be getting the tank in the next 5 weeks as moving house so thought its best to wait just doing my research in the mean time! as always knowledge is power! thanks ryan.

Knjjjjjb.
zZz kossds

Back
Top Bottom