finally got my SW tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nibor

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend finally brought over the SW tank she is selling us and we are eager to get it set up and cycling. Only problem is that we do not have a large enough container to mix the whole 65 gallons of water. We have four 5 gal buckets.

So, how can we do this? I found vids on youtube that said to let the water mix with a powerhead overnight, so that brings us down to just one 5 gal bucket at a time!

My question is, can we just mix up the water and place it in the tank with the powerhead? There won't be any fish for a good 6 or so weeks or however long it takes to cycle.

I am concerned about the little bit of water in the tank now going stagnate and the bacteria we have dying off. It will be next week before we can get a big, 55 gal can.

Yes, I think that would be fine to mix your salt in each bucket then add your powerhead to the tank. Stir the crap out of each bucket before adding to tank! :)

hey send me a message to my inbox and I will detail how I started my 65+ tank, its just to long for a post.

I'd suggest going to home depot and picking up a 40 gallon brute trash can. Clean it well when you get home then you can store/mix water in it. How are you going to do a large water change with out one?

Since you are just starting it that won't be a problem. For our water changes:
We have an RO/DI which goes into a large trash can (clean very well, without any chemicals) when it is full mix 5 gallons at a time and put it into our 20. Turn on the power heads, heater and filter (to get out any debris). Let that sit for about 24 hours and do our water changes. 20 gallons isn't enough for all our tanks so we have spaced them out a few days. Eventually we will up grade to a bigger tank for water changes :) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom