Finally got my tank started up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my guess... less than 1/8th of an inch wide, very feathery looking, just wish my camera would take nice close up pics.
It might be a featherduster or tubeworm of some sort and it has withdrawn back into it's homein the rock. Hard to say without a picture.

My wife has actually lost "my" camera somewhere so I'm having to use our video camera which is a DigiLife DDV-1080HD. At least I think that's what it's called, it was a gift.

As for them possibly being featherdusters or tubeworms... I kind of highly doubt it cause I would assume that dusters or tubeworms would pop up from the Fiji LR or the sand bed which were about the only places it wouldn't grow. It only poped up on the "dry" rock I had in the tank. Well, I guess thats not true cause it started first on the glass, but I would scrape or pluck it almost daily and I cut back on my lighting.

I changed it to about 6 hours on a single 96watt antic, about 2 hours with 14k 96watt PC and 1 hour with my 14k 150watt MH burning (that was before it started to grow on the rock). I use to do this all the time with my freshwater planted tanks because I believe that if you give plants and algae to much light they will strip the ammonia from the tank faster than the bacteria can. I also feel that it's bad to pretty much black out the tank (unless as a last resort) because the plants uptake of ammonia helps to modirate the spikes in the cycle or in an established tank the bacteria may not be able to handle it. I have since doubled my light, but have it broken up into two light cycles that were about 6 hours apart and i've slowly worked them back together an hour at a time each week or so.

I was talking to one of the guys at my LFS and his only idea as to what might have happened was that my pods finally had a population boom and they wiped out the easiest food source in the tank first. Anyway, here's a pic of the tank. =P

21129-albums629-picture4640.jpg

Well, it's turning out very nice. You have alot to look forward tol.

I think you mean nitrates not ammonia take up, but I get the idea so yes on varying the light source. besides it is more natual. I run my 4x54wT-5's for 13 hours on a timer and have very little to no algae on my front glass. Your tank will settle in on it's own balance once it matures.

I can't find a good source for documentation atm cause I'm to tired to think, but with freshwater plants at least, ammonia is "suppose" to be the prefered source of nitrogen. With saltwater, /shrug, i have no idea, this is a whole new ballgame for me.

I've been wet testing my fuge and i found a kind of odd charactoristic of it. The way my current freshwater wet test is going, my pump pushes in enough water for it to overflow and trickle down into the return line. However, the pump pushes faster than water is flowing out untill it covers the return opening and creates a true siphon. This in turn pulls water out of the fuge faster than the pump is pushing it in untill it breaks the siphon. So i guess I've built some sort of hybrid fuge/surge device... now if i could just get it to stop leaking...

I've had one minor setback this week... my wife actually sat and watched the tank for a bit and saw the pods... her response was "OMG! IT'S CUTE!" Now i come home and she's watching the pods "playing" on the rocks. So I've had to explane to her that pods are friends, AND food. Needless to say, she's now a little less eager for me to start adding fish, but she's now super behind the 5g "pod playground" (fuge) that's gonna be sitting high up in the living room in full view.

Oh, I need help guys... I need to be talked out doing something possibly stupid. I'm super tempted to try adding some zoas and shrooms, I was actually tempted to try something else embarrassingly stupid, but i've since managed to talk myself out of it. My nitrates have actually gone down to about 5ppm from 10ppm and I've only done a 5g water change. Mind you, this would probably be in about a week or two since my LFS isn't placing a SW order for a while and rarely keeps anything but fish in stock.

I could also use some help deciding what from my list of fishes I should get first. Keeping in mind that these would probably spend about a month in QT so it would be a bit before they get into the display tank. I'm looking for guidance on what order to add these to try and avoid territorial disputes as I add newer fish. Just to have the whole thing out there, I'll post my list of species I'm interested in, I broke it up into groups with what i want first followed by substitutions (just to be clear, i don't want ALL of these, just one species from each group):

Pair of
Pterapogon kauderni - Banggai Cardinal

Trio or quartet of
Ptereleotris zebra - Zebra Barred Dartfish
Only if paired:
Ptereleotris evides - Scissortail Dartfish
Nemateleotris magnifica - Firefish
Nemateleotris decora - Purple Dartfish

Single or Pair (probably single)
Gobiodon atrangulatus - Clown Goby, Green
Gobiodon citrinus - Clown Goby, Lemon

Ideally, a pair and bonded with pistol shrimp
Cryptocentrus cinctus - Yellow Watchman Goby
Stonogobiops nematodes - Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

Trio or Quartet of:
Paracheilinus carpenteri - Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Paracheilinus mccoskeri - McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
or just about any small fasher wrasse

Single
Ecsenius stigmatura - Tail Spot Blenny
Ecsenius bicolor - Bicolor Blenny

Finally, I hoped someday to get a tang <ducks>... though I've had a devil of a time with this idea since i like the powder brown/white cheek (Acanthurus japonicus/nigricans). It seems like there's no straight answer as to which tang is which and which one is "easier". So I've pretty much come to the realization that it's probably not gonna happen, which is probably a good thing.

If this would be overstocked, please, tell me. Right now the only advice that I seem to be able to get on this comes from my one of the guys at my LFS and having seen his tank, I can't help but feel like he overstocks his own system (for the record, his system IS nice). Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a 65g DT and I am pushing it with 6 fish. If you max out your tank with fish you won't have any room to expand to corals. I guess all in do time. Remember that most fish that you purcase will be in the small group size so allow for growth.

Figured I'd post a quick pic of my fuge. So far so good... only annoying thing is that it's functioning as both a fuge and a surge tank atm. this kind of sucks cause it's dumping a lot more micro bubbles into my tank, but I love what it's done to my flow. Will have to wait and see what it does overall though.

21129-albums629-picture4666.jpg

Best Wife Ever

OK, I think I might have the best wife ever. I was planning on buying some "easy corals" from my LFS in their next order, so like any good domesticated husband, I asked my wife for permission. I was greeted by blank stares so to argue my case I showed her the Diver's Den on LiveAquaria. What I wasn't expecting was for her to start picking out colors that she liked, much less to ask if we could order some.

I figured she meant try to order some from the LFS. I REALLY wasn't expecting to get a call this morning from Dr Fosters and Smith telling me that shipping was screwed up on my order due to where I live in Alaska. I must say, their CSR's are top notch and were willing to cover my order even though it was going to take longer than they thought (they said that instead of getting it today, I wouldn't get it till Tuesday). So... you can guess at my horror when we got home tonight to find the box sitting on our doorstep since I neither of us was expecting to have to be here to meet it.

So far there's good news, the two groups of zoas have actually opened up while being acclimated, the wild card is that she bought a frag of aquacultured Heteroxenia and so far it's not looking to happy, but i'm hopeful. She bought it since it was on sale and she'd seen Xenia on some nature program and remembered me saying I wanted some. Since my camera sucks for taking close up picks i'm gonna post links to the Dr F&S pages until I can get some pics myself or they take them down.

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Zoanthus gigantus

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Zoanthus gigantus

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Heteroxenia Polyp, Aquacultured

Beautiful tank, I'm really enjoying your thread. You need to find the lost camera and get actual shots of your corals, the links look great but probably look awesome in your tank. Looking forward to the updates.

Bad news guys... I found my camera... :vamp: Pics inc as soon as I get done resizing them and sorting through for the good ones (hadn't used the camera in a while so I couldn't remember how to work it at first). Oh, and looks like I got a hitchhiker on my Zoa rock... seems to be a tiny feather duster, but i'll probably post a pic in the ID section to get more opinions.

Inc Pics!

21129-albums629-picture4700.jpg

21129-albums629-picture4701.jpg

21129-albums629-picture4702.jpg

My Fave Rock:
21129-albums629-picture4705.jpg

Tube Worm who's finally showing up again after dropping his head:
21129-albums629-picture4706.jpg

My other tube worm, seems happy, but I think part of his tube broke from the force of the refugiem when I was breaking it in:
21129-albums629-picture4707.jpg

Last edited:
Captive grown Xenia (Heteroxenia sp.) from DrF&S, not sure how happy it is where it's at cause it's actually getting quite a bit of current, but it seems to have "firmed" up a LOT since it was first placed in the tank. First pic with flash, second pic without flash.
21129-albums629-picture4708.jpg
21129-albums629-picture4709.jpg

This is the Super Pink Palys from DrF&S... the part that gets me is they market them as "limited edition"... like their gonna break the mold or something. :eek: The first pic is with flash, the second without. They really are a lot pinker in person though:
21129-albums629-picture4710.jpg
21129-albums629-picture4711.jpg

Finally, my zoa rock, I really like these polyps, gonna have to get a few pieces of rubble touching it to try and get it to spread so I can share it around town. Again, first pic with flash, second pic without.
21129-albums629-picture4712.jpg
21129-albums629-picture4713.jpg

Beautiful, I want coral so bad now!!!

I have a FOWLR and the only reason for that is because I have a CC SeaStar so now Im thinking to put the Seastar in my 8g so I can get coral, lol

Wow, good job on the tank. Maybe in the future once my tank is set up and you don't mind i will buy some of those zoas from you once they spread.

Back
Top Bottom