FINALLY got off my rump! - drilled my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Used this kit from HD. Mine is only a 20 long so the size of hole i needed for my bulkhead is much smaller than most large tanks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-1-3-8-in-Diamond-Hole-Saw-with-Water-Delivering-System-10569Q/202205611

Works well. The "water delivery system" is pretty nice and I think the adhesive actually makes the glass a bit stronger while drilling.

The second image is basically how its going to be set up. Im going to make a 29 gallon sump underneath. I need to find some specs. I want to make the sump bigger than the water volume just in case the pump fails and the overflow keeps going. If anyone has a good spec out for a sump Id appreciate it. I was even thinking of using some 1/4" plexi and the left over rim to my first attempt at drilling to build my own sump from scratch. I think it would be a cool project and i still have all the jbweld and such for it.

looking to turn this into primarily a reef invert tank. Maybe some easy small fish like damsels (only damsels though) or maybe put in a mandarin and build a feeder for it (them). Im only going to keep minimal rock in the tank and leave the rest below. God forbid I end up with another outbreak of that briopsys algea. Id rather leave it all in the refugium and not look at it. Clean 2 or 3 rocks every few weeks than like 12.

Dummy me though, left my rocks out all winter/spring/summer after the tank crashed so theyre all dead and has who knows what on them. They were in a sealed plastic bin but I figure a good rinse and maybe put them on a foil pan in the grill for a bit to kill any harmful cirtter or bacteria. Then Ill have to reseed everything.

Any tips?

Attachments

• 73c7308b803c665411a68fc691f06ec7d5d31491-1.jpg
    73c7308b803c665411a68fc691f06ec7d5d31491-1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20190825_183948.jpg
    IMG_20190825_183948.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 97
Looking good on the restart man.

Thanks man! Getting excited again. I just have so many hobbys. have my tanks, my bees, the gym, music, it's just hard to find time.

I'll try to keep this updated though!

Palytoxin grillin'?

YUP LOL (theres no palys on these rocks anymore), I know the other half will just whine for hours if Im throwing rocks in the oven. I figure just get some $ store tin sheets and throw them on the grill at like 350+ for a 30 minutes or so should kill most everything on them. Then I just need to setup and reseed. Surprisingly shes not even a fan of the reef. enjoys the planted way more. I mean until I get a decent reef going, then Im sure shell change her mind. Shes already crying about setting up another tank in "my area" anyway but Im just tuning her out and will set it all up when shes out. This has become principal for me. the reef bested me last time, I will not let it beat me completely.

Yeah, I do understand, I had a huge FW shrimp tank destroyed by something in the town water that was stronger than Prime... But phase 2 in the works and do no give up!!!

Looking forward to the new build, and enjoy seeing new tanks for sure!

Back
Top Bottom