Finally ordered tank and need opinion on filter choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone
I finally was able to make a decision on what tank to get and ordered it with stand and glass canopy. I ordered a 120 gallon with the following 60 x 18 x 26 which I plan using for FOWLR then down the road hope to make it a reef. My girls can't wait to get Nemo & Dori in their house, to tell you the truth neither can I, we pick up everything this Friday just in time for the weekend YAHOOOOO:jump:.
I've been tossing the filtration sitiation around and decided that i want to use a canister filter not a sump, the filter I'm considering is the Eheim 2080 and wanted your guys opinions if you think this filter is up to the job?

Can anyone recommend an HOB skimmer that's not to expensive? Sorry about all of the questions but here is another one, Can i use a standard flourescent light for now until I can save up the money to get good one?

Can't wait till Friday.

Thanx everybody
Keith

Yes for a FOWLR tank you`ll be OK with just regular lighting. Your best bet on the filtration will be plenty of LR and a skimmer. one to two pounds of LR or BR will do more for filtration than a filter. Good luck on the start up.

Yes for a FOWLR tank you`ll be OK with just regular lighting. Your best bet on the filtration will be plenty of LR and a skimmer. one to two pounds of LR or BR will do more for filtration than a filter. Good luck on the start up.
Thanks for the info and wishes. I was going to build my own stand until i got into Ziggy953's thread on the 150/120 build (only got to page 47) which quickly changed my mind, I'll make there generic stand look nice and save money elsewhere. That poor guy.

Keith

Personally, I like to run filters. I have Fluvials (but Ehiems are great, from what I hear). I have a Fluvial FX5 on my 125 and love it.
I do agree with Mike as well.

Personally, I like to run filters. I have Fluvials (but Ehiems are great, from what I hear). I have a Fluvial FX5 on my 125 and love it.
I do agree with Mike as well.
Same here, I've always liked canisters and have been and am running an eheim 2215 on my 44 gal pentagon (15 years) with incredible results. Are you using an HOB skimmer or do you also have a sump? I'm shying away from sumps because of all of the downsides, power failure problems, noise, not to mention any picture I see of a sump setup it always looks nasty. The other problem is that the sump is open and would be accessible to my Nemo loving girls who are 3 and 5 years old. I'll be looking into a skimmer and live rock. It's going to be interesting setting this thing up:D, the live rock around my neck of the woods is going anywhere from 8 to 11 bucks a pound, i have to find an alternate source. I think I'm going to start with the canister and install HOB overflows and plumb it for simultaneous canister/maybe future sump. Got to get going and continue making my shopping/to-do list. Thanks for your insight.

Keith:usa

Back
Top Bottom