First attempt at a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I'm still working on those nitrates coming down!
The coral beauty is nice but makes sense not to have an angel with the corals.
Puffers eating the CUC doesn't sound the best either....

One Spot Foxface, bristletooth tang, and some snowflake clowns are my thoughts now.

I'm looking into the RODI. Thanks for the links, it just seems to make sense...

You'd be surprised about fish that eat inverts. I think many have a place in reef tanks. My marine betta is a great example. Model citizen...just no crabs or shrimp in there to be expensive meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll have to look into what inverts smaller puffers eat. Got the lights in and need to set them up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been reading a lot of threads on new skinmers. How do you know if it is broken in?

If it begins to accumulate dark brown, stinky sludge. And it doesn't lose its crap and go overboard with sucking in normal water.

Thanks. And thanks, looks like the skimmer is working well. I will put up some pix when my camera is charged. It looks like the lights are going to be harder to mount than I thought. The wiring kit is only a foot or so. I'll have to make a run to home depot tomorrow.
I also need to find a way to add some height to the skimmer. I'm hoping to find some crate like material that stacks up.

I decided to go with a RODI. It just makes sense....When I was at the store, I saw a marine betta, now I'm more confused on my stocking list haha

Marine bettas are awesome, but they eat anything that will fit in their mouth lol. As for the lights, I used a closet rack/curtain rod for mine.

Attachments

• 1438470574529.jpg
    1438470574529.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 74
That's a great idea, thanks.
How big do their mouths get? Would clowns work? I'm assuming no gobies....

Lights are up. I'll clean up the wiring and plug into a timer/controller sometime this week.

I almost had a disaster as I was leaving for work Fri. When I was checking the skimmer, one of the rocks fell....luckily there was not even a scratch.
But I will need to redesign the layout into a stable formation.

Attachments

• IMG_0141[1].jpg
    IMG_0141[1].jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0143[1].jpg
    IMG_0143[1].jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0142[1].jpg
    IMG_0142[1].jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 99
I'll have to look into what inverts smaller puffers eat. Got the lights in and need to set them up.

Puffers will eat snails , hermits , clams , mussels , even fan worms otherwise known as feather dusters , I have a Valenti and he is a blast to watch

as for dwarf angels I've kept coral beauty's , flame angels , bi color angels , black and white angels in my reef never seen any interest in corals , just be sure they are well fed thats why they are listed as reef safe but with caution best to start them young so they learn the rules lol seeing what the other fish do

Ah, a red Sea reefer :) nice choice. The protein skimmer sludge should be really dark brown, most of what's in the cup now is water.

Thanks, it's incredibly quiet which I love. The skimmer was making the sludge but I cleaned it when it was overflowing....

I was looking at the Valenti puffer. I can have crabs and shrimp with one? Been trying to find the inverts i can have with one.....I think I'm close on the stocking list:
Clowns X2
One spot fox face
Valenti puffer (depending on inverts)
Bristle tooth tomini tang
Marine beta

Be ready, a lot of people will get pissed that you're planning on getting a tomini tang in a 55 xD I had mine in a 55 for a few months. I recently upgraded to a 90 though, just try to not keep any fish longer than 6 inches in the 55. If they start to outgrow the tank, I would upgrade tanks. Honestly though, a tomini would be fine in a 55 IMO. The foxface and marine betta both get about 8 inches, which is pushing it.

I appreciate the thoughts and am curious from the experience on here if there have been concerns or not with the list.

I am looking at how I'm setting up the lights and wonder if a controller is worthwhile or if a power strip with timers is sufficient. Thoughts? All I think I really need are timers for the lights but monitors would be nice in case of emergencies...

That is some big fish in that 55. I would move VERY slowly towards a similar list, but I would want to cut one of them out for fear of aggression issues.

I personally keep a tomini and a marine betta in my 55 reef. I love both fish. Tomini very active and the marine beta is a rare treat as it is very shy and does not like bright lights. Mine actually tries to intimidate me when I come near the tank, it is really neat. That said, you won't be having any inverts in the tank with the beta. They will turn into expensive meals.

First signs of trouble! Parameters are good, did a water change and went to the lfs. Came home with a young one spot foxface and a coral banded shrimp.
Shrimp is doing fine chilling in a cave. The foxface was definitely stressed, turning zebra but opened up, color bright, and was swimming in the current all happy. I turned the main lights down and he went to the corner and went zebra again! I've turned all of the lights off knowing they are shy and hoping that helps him adjust. It's been an hour since then and he is still floating in the bottom corner. He's alive but pale. Some faint color looks light its returning but not much life.....Not sure if there is anything more I can do but hope for the best....

Back
Top Bottom