First Build 60 Gal Mixed Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I am starting out buiding my first Saltwarer tank and your advice is needed before I start.
Some background about me.
I am 44 years young and I have done a lot of scuba diving which has always made me interested in getting a saltwater reef Aquarium and finally this year I am diving in. I am close to completion of the equipment gathering stage.
I have never done this before and have very little experience except for a small 10 gal goldfish tank that I have had for a couple of years.
My goal is to setup a mixed fish / reef tank that can hopefully sustain SPS & LPS and Fish. I want the hardware and reef life to be esthetically pleasing to the eye inside and out. However at the same time I don’t want to break the bank so finding the right balance has been hard in some areas.
I have been doing research and equipment gathering for about 6 weeks now and have accumulated the following kit: Any comments on what I need or concerns with the equipment would be appreciated as I am ready to start plumbing this weekend.
60 Gal Reef Ready Perfecto Glass Tank with Black Trim 48 x12x24 (Corner Overflow). I would prefer a 75 but that decision point is past.
Marineland Majesty Stand – Black
ESHOPPS RS-75 Sump
Reef Octopus NW-110 sump skimmer
Mag Drive 7 return Pump 750 GPH
1 x Koralia 600GPH Magnetic Power Head. I want 2 x vortech MP10 but they are ridiculously over priced) Once I start to populate the system I will look at a 2nd unit.
Fluval E200 Heater up to 60 Gal (Would a 300W be better ? )
60 Pounds of BRS Reef Saver Dry Aquarium Live Rock
60 Pounds of Fiji Pink Arag-Alive! Sand
90 Gal of Salt mix by Oceanic
RO System (Had one already for house water)
32 Gal Rubermaid Trash Can for RO water
API Salt Water Master Test Kit –. What else do I need from testing perspective?
H2 Ocean Refractometer by the aquarium solutions
Assortment of PVC and Vinyl tubing and plumbing parts from Lowes
Deep Blue Reef Ready Plumbing Kit( Waiting for UPS)
Still Need / thinking about getting
Lighting – Tough area - Some great systems out there but LED’s are so overpriced. I think the Maxspect R420R 160W 16,000K is an amazingly good looking system with solid functionality at a reasonable price unlike other vendors. Even comes with suspension hardware or tank rails in the box which is a big plus and cost saver. Thoughts?
Tank Background color Black or Blue ?
ATO System – Need to Research if I need this
Reactor(s) - Need to Research if need this
Refugium – Maybe later
QT Tank Setup

Attachments

• Tank & stand s.jpg
    Tank & stand s.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Sump & Skimmer 1 s.jpg
    Sump & Skimmer 1 s.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 630
  • Reef Saver Dry Rock s.jpg
    Reef Saver Dry Rock s.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 179
You're off to a great start. First things first, a good light is needed for SPS corals. Don't go cheap. Get something that won't need to be upgraded in a year. Second thing is flow. Most corals need good flow to clean excrement off themselves and to get food. I've heard 30-50% tank volume is good, but the higher the better. You have 750 and 600 in powerheads. I'm assuming your skimmer runs at 600. That would be toward the lower end of the 1800-3000 gph range for a 60 gallon tank. Might think about adding another 600 on top of that. Point then toward each other and make sure one of then is breaking the water surface. I have forgotten what else you posted about but I hit the important parts for getting things started.

Yes i agree getting good Lights are key. I think I have settled on the Maxspect R420R Razor. Now I just need to find the best price or 10% off coupon would work :)

And yes I need more and stronger power heads in a few weeks.

Still waiting for some plumbing parts. Been in the post for 7 days now :(

Also I swopped out my Mag5 for a Mag7 to get better flow.

I have tapped out 32 gal of RO water but run out of storage space and I don't want to spring for another trash can. Once plumbing parts arrive I will do a water leak test.

Had to do it. Went ahead and ordered the Maxspect R420R 160W 16000K and 2 x Vortech MP10's.

Spending money like water on getting started......have to tell the wife soon...or maybe not....lol

Aquascape

I was playing around with possible rock formations. So what do you all think about this one ?

First Pic is from the front and the second from the back.

Also I need advice on what to use to keep it stable. I have ordered some reef putty but I feel that may not be enough. Any suggestionss ?

Attachments

• Aquascape Front.jpg
    Aquascape Front.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 128
  • Aquascape Back.jpg
    Aquascape Back.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 133
I see you went for the MP10's... They are def overpriced for a powerhead. I have 2 korolia 750's and two aqueon 250's in my 55gallon tank as well as the flow from my Reef octopus skimmer and hob emperor 400/ soon to be removed. It works well and saved a ton of $. Looks great your tank is going to be amazing

Welcome to the most to addiction. I recommend painting the back of the tank before you start your first cycle.

LED in my opinion are the best lights. Protein skimner is really not necessary until u get fish. I went a month without a protein skimmer. Nothing to skim for the beginning. Take your time and it will be rewarding. This is great place for information. Also get in with a LFS ( local fish store)

Check out my photos. I'm on my third month.

I would also recommend dealing with the background ASAP. I prefer black(I never covered my acrylic 4' tank but purchased some two sided plastic tht can be glued on, should I ever move my tank lol).

The sump is also important to install under the tank before you fill it up in case the thing needs to be dropped in or built around. Another problem I ran into. ;)

Get the reef test kits on top of salt water, I don't know enough to list them so I won't, but about 4-5 other liquid tests besides the salt master test kit which is only: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph

Welcome to the family :) just like you, Im still inexperience and would still consider myself a beginner to this hobby even though I just started few months ago. Sometimes it feels so overwhelming to grasp the infos all at once but this site will definitely guide you along the way ;)

Before you do or buy anything that you are unsure of, ask questions. There's a lot of research thats needs to be done.

If you are doing a sump do tons of research about it. You have a nice stand that will allow you to have maybe 20 gal in there. It's important to have a spacious sump so you can put your heater, return pump, skimmer, make a portion of it as a refugium and other stuff that you may possibly need in the future.

It is obvious that you have been doing your research for a while. One mistake that I made was thinking that some bubble algae that was in the LFS wouldn't give me a problem. Well I ended up getting out in my tank and it has been a battle ever sense. Just thought I would share that with you

Some people drip their corals before dropping in the tank. I don't and I might start.

I would also recommend dealing with the background ASAP. I prefer black(I never covered my acrylic 4' tank but purchased some two sided plastic tht can be glued on, should I ever move my tank lol).

The sump is also important to install under the tank before you fill it up in case the thing needs to be dropped in or built around. Another problem I ran into. ;)

Get the reef test kits on top of salt water, I don't know enough to list them so I won't, but about 4-5 other liquid tests besides the salt master test kit which is only: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph

I dont like the idea of painting the glass so ordered some blue background and Saltwater and Reef test kits .

Welcome to the family :) just like you, Im still inexperience and would still consider myself a beginner to this hobby even though I just started few months ago. Sometimes it feels so overwhelming to grasp the infos all at once but this site will definitely guide you along the way ;)

Before you do or buy anything that you are unsure of, ask questions. There's a lot of research thats needs to be done.

If you are doing a sump do tons of research about it. You have a nice stand that will allow you to have maybe 20 gal in there. It's important to have a spacious sump so you can put your heater, return pump, skimmer, make a portion of it as a refugium and other stuff that you may possibly need in the future.

Thanks for the welcome. I got a ESHOPS RS-75 which alows me to fit a skimmer but no refugium. I dont have much space for a wider sump anyways.

It is obvious that you have been doing your research for a while. One mistake that I made was thinking that some bubble algae that was in the LFS wouldn't give me a problem. Well I ended up getting out in my tank and it has been a battle ever sense. Just thought I would share that with you

My LFS has one large tank that has a lot of that hairy Algae. Makes me nervous about anything from that tank as I want to minimize introducing problems.
My Maxspect LED's and MP10's arrived today :dance: Will post some pics later

Blue back ground will bubble with air pockets.. Paint is the best way to go and If you don't like it? You can just scrape it off. Look at my pics?

Your pics are nice and you make a good point. I will have to think about it.

Here is some pics of my newly arived Maxspect Razor. I plan on hanging it from the ceiling but this give you an idea.
Love how thin this is.

Attachments

• 2s.jpg
    2s.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 4s.jpg
    4s.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 7s.jpg
    7s.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 8s.jpg
    8s.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 74
Awesome LED's. I'm not a big fan of hanging stuff from the ceiling. Too each is own. You every thought about constructing your own personnel lid? It will keep the sound from echoing in the house. I have hard wood floors and image sound bounces. I got my tank as quit as u can without constructing a lid. Corner tanks are not cool.

Do you have a glass top?

It takes one slip up and bye bye lights.... It happens a lot. That's why I have a goose neck. It's reliable, I can move it if need be in a few seconds. I also have a glass lid, just in case some fish want to adventure off like nemo. I wish I had a wooden lid or canopy... ( sure soneone with OCD will correct me)

Awesome LED's. I'm not a big fan of hanging stuff from the ceiling. Too each is own. You every thought about constructing your own personnel lid? It will keep the sound from echoing in the house. I have hard wood floors and image sound bounces. I got my tank as quit as u can without constructing a lid. Corner tanks are not cool.

Do you have a glass top?

It takes one slip up and bye bye lights.... It happens a lot. That's why I have a goose neck. It's reliable, I can move it if need be in a few seconds. I also have a glass lid, just in case some fish want to adventure off like nemo. I wish I had a wooden lid or canopy... ( sure soneone with OCD will correct me)

No glass top - I am going to live dangeriously to start :) LEDs will be secure hanging from ceiling so I am not concerned it will fall in. And Nemo better get a parachute. I just like the look of an open top tank and from what I have read a lot of people do this. I can always add one later.

Help - Plumbing Question
Now my next problem. I am going to finish up the plumbing this weekend and I need some advice. Take a look at the attached picture.
Should I cut out the plastic tab in the RED circle and then lower the return pipe so that is is level with the cut out ? Also should i drop my drain to the same level ?

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 88
I would cut and drop it. So that u have nothing protruding out of the tank. I'm more for the look factor.

Canopies/ lids are also a safe guard for little kids dropping anything I your tank. I have a lot of unruly nephews. Pain in the butt.... So I need the safety of mind. Too each is own!!!

I would cut and drop it. So that u have nothing protruding out of the tank. I'm more for the look factor.

Canopies/ lids are also a safe guard for little kids dropping anything I your tank. I have a lot of unruly nephews. Pain in the butt.... So I need the safety of mind. Too each is own!!!

I will do that. Think it will look better and will also give me a little more pressure on my Durso pipe which is a good thing I hope.

Back
Top Bottom