first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 36g tank that has just finished its cycle and my 5g qt is set up and ready for fish. my sisters boyfriend is bringing me home a peppermint shrimp and some live rock along with my first fish when he comes home for christmas break. i told him i wanted a yellow clown goby so he went to the lfs where he lives and said the had the gobies, but they werent very active. he thought this may be because the fish were just added to the tank. so i was wonderieng, once a yellow clown goby gets used to a new tank, are they active or unactive?

From what I've seen, yellow clown gobies like perching on rockwork. So they're not very active.

so if i decide not to get the goby, does anyone have any suggestions of interesting fish that arnt too expensive?

True and false percs, firefish, maybe a 6-line. Its not that clown gobies aren't interesting, they're just not active swimmers.

thanks for the advice, im thinkin either a clown goby or firefish, ill have to think about it.

first off...100 kudos to you for using a QT for your first fish! Way to go. :onfire: As for the fish, look into the Royal Gramma. This is one of my favorite fish. Very active and beautiful colors. Good luck with the first addition. Let us know how it goes...Lando

wow! thanks a lot for the kudos lando :lol: i plan to get a gramma sometime because i think they are really cool fish, but i have had some bad luck with fish dying either on the way to my house from a couple hours away or having them die the next day, so i plan to start out with a cheaper fish. i might just get a chromis, but im not sure yet. thanks for the advice

No problem. A blue-green reef chromis are also active fish. they look great in a school of three or more. If you need to travel any distance, tell the LFS and they will be sure to bag them in more water and O2. If they are dying in your tank the next day, it is most likely due to an acclimation issue or a water quality issue.

my sisters boyfreind, who got me into sw fish and helped set up my tank, found that the fish that had died may have a had a parasite, i cant remember what it was called, but it matched the description of what the fish looked like once they were dead. ill be sure to tell the guy at the store to put more water in, that could have been teh problem last time too, there wasnt much water in the bag and there weree three fish, 2 for me and one for the guy that got them for me. thanks again for your help

Back
Top Bottom