First fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about getting two firefish for my first fish in the tank. I have a 90 gal. Any thoughts on this?

I think firefish are good as a first fish. They are docile in temperment. Do you have a plan for all the occupants of your tank. You want to start with the least aggresive and make the last fish the most aggressive.

Not sure on all the fish yet, but i do plan on getting a flame angel fish and maybe another angel fish...(not a dwarf) and i would like to put in a tang. Not really sure on whateles to get

Angels tend to be aggressive toward one another... and depending on the species of tang, you may not have enough space (they need a lot of swimming room). Also did you do a fishless cycle??? That would be the best way of getting your tank ready for fish... if you did this, then you are set and I would have to agree that firefish are awesome fish to have!

Yes Im in the process of the fishless cycle now. Would i be able to put 2 firefish in the tank?

Yes I do have live rock. Its been in cycle for 3 days now. I put in 40# of lr and just put it 10# of uncured lr. I hope its ok to put in uncured. Anyway my ammonia is 2.8 and my nitrate is at 110.

No need to test nitrate yet. Test nitrite and ammonia. Once thos are 0 you can test nitrate. detectable amounts of nitrites will give you a false nitrate reading.

definitely DO NOT add the fish now. They will die quickly with the ammonia. Let it run its course and get to 0 before adding fish.

I dont plan on adding anything yet. Just was curious if I was on the right track for my first fish. My nitrites are at 1.6 now.

Well since you have nitrites your ammonia should start going down. My cycle took about 10-12 days after I added rock. The rock I got was out of an established tank and was only out of water for 1.5 to 2 hours max.

Good... I just hope me adding the uncured rock wont doing anything to the cycle

The uncured may take a bit longer but just do not do any water changes til you get to 0. (unless there is life on the rock you want to keep)

Ok my ammonia is down to .3 but i still have very high nitrite @ 1.6. Should this be going down soon? Should I remove the raw shrimp now? The tank has only been in cycle for 4 days now.

Back
Top Bottom