First Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going to be moving into a dorm in the coming months so I decided to build a reef tank to take with me.

So far I've gotten my tank and lighting.

Tank is a 4.5g rimless, curved corner tank. (35cm x 21 cm x 23 cm)
Light is a 16w (16x 1w blue and white) LED fixture I got at an LFS. The color on this lamp is pretty good. It's a lot more purplish white than the pictures make it out to be.

I'm thinking I might start out with a few zoas and other softies and generally easy polyps and maybe put in an sps or two.

I have a few questions:
1. What size HOB should I get for this thing? Is an AC20 too large? *lookin for something really really quiet too since it'll be a shared dorm)
2. How much water movement should I need? I have a 140gph power head is that enough?
3. What other supplies do I need other than:
HOB
Heater -X
Thermometer -X
Water Movers -X
Light - X
Aragonite
Refractometer
Test kits
4. What test kits do I need for a nano reef? I have the standard ph, nitrate, ammonia, nitrite get up and I also have GH, phosphate and KH. What am I missing if I'm looking into coral?
Fauna will be restricted to typical CUC and maybe some sexy shrimp.

Unboxing toys.

dsc02553lre.jpg

Testing out the lights using a piece of rock that was encrusted by purple algae from tanks past.
scaled.php

Last edited:
That's a really good start. And lol, when you said 140gph I thought I was reading it wrong then I remembered its a 4.5 gallon. Haha

From the sounds of what you want to keep in the tank, the 140 should work well enough. As far as the hob, I don't have any experience with those. . Sorry.

Hmm...
I think I'll just get the 20 anyways to hide the heater and some rubble rock and maybe chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom