First New Fish Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats an ammonia based chemical. A trick i do thats great is i use a spray bottle with ro water and spray the glass, and then wipe it down with a squegie.

I just wipe it down with a wet cloth and then follow that with a dry cloth. It gives a perfectly clear tank. I have a whole set of shop rags that are for aquarium usage only. No chemicals ever touch them.

I just wipe it down with a wet cloth and then follow that with a dry cloth. It gives a perfectly clear tank. I have a whole set of shop rags that are for aquarium usage only. No chemicals ever touch them.

Same here

Thats an ammonia based chemical. A trick i do thats great is i use a spray bottle with ro water and spray the glass, and then wipe it down with a squegie.

If it was poisoned by something in the water, would that mean that I would have to do a 100% water change and clean everything in the tank?

If it was poisoned by something in the water, would that mean that I would have to do a 100% water change and clean everything in the tank?

You could try running some activated carbon.. But more than likely yes, that is what you would have to do.

To kill a fish that fast there's only a few things it could be.

1. Poisoning
2. Improper acclimation
3. Obscenely high levels of ammonia / nitrite

You could try running some activated carbon.. But more than likely yes, that is what you would have to do.

To kill a fish that fast there's only a few things it could be.

1. Poisoning

2. Improper acclimation

3. Obscenely high levels of ammonia / nitrite

100% sure it is not 2 or 3. I read that maybe there might be stray electricity from maybe the pump? Some guy had this problem and said that's what he found out what was killing them

100% sure it is not 2 or 3. I read that maybe there might be stray electricity from maybe the pump? Some guy had this problem and said that's what he found out what was killing them

It's possible I guess but not terribly likely. But the same can be said of the poisoning.

It's possible I guess but not terribly likely. But the same can be said of the poisoning.

If it is poison, are there any ways to test it? And I understand that I would have to take all the water out, but would I need to clean/rinse the live rock and sand as well? Would that start the cycle all over again? And lastly, when would I add the carbon?

Ok. There are aquarium cleaning products out there specifically for aquarium glass.

I don't have an answer for you, but worst case scenario, you can always send out a sample of your water to be tested by a lab. Someone else on here was having a similar problem and found that a UV sterilizer's seal had been compromised and it leaked poison into the tank.

Hey, sorry! I put some carbon to see if that cleans up whatever it is that is killing the fish. Tomorrow I'm going to buy one chromis, acclimate him and hopfully he lives. If not, I'm going to do a 30% water change.

I put the chromis in yesterday at 9 pm and he is laying on the sand dying right now :( I have no idea what's wrong!

What ever is killing the fish will most likely kill a snail!

Back
Top Bottom