First partial water change and additions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdw1974

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my new 60 gallon tank for over 6 weeks now. All the tests are fine. Am I ok to add some invertebrates and what would you recommend. I'm new to SW also when do I do my first water change.

If your tests are ok and you have 0 ammo and nitrites and some nitrate then id do a partial water change and get a small fish. As far as what to start with no clue. Sounds like your ready though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you haven't done a wc yet, and your nitrates aren't off the charts, the you probably haven't cycled the tank. What did you add as an ammonia source to start the cycle?

Hello. I used a live bacteria additive as well as live rock and live sand. The ammonia did go off the chart but I stuck with it. Used RO water to top up and they have come down again. There are lots of little snails and a star fish that snook in with the rock as well.

How high of an ammonia spike did you have? Generally you need more than just the LR and sand for an ammonia source, and those bacteria in a bottles are how lfs make money, they are no substitute for a cycle.

It went up to 0.6 mg/l. And that was 3 weeks ago tomorrow. The skimmer has lots of colour in it

Unfortunately that's bit a big enough spike to cycle a tank. I would suggest getting some pure ammonia or a thawed shrimp and add it to start your cycle. You want a spike above 5-6 mg/l not .5

The water I brought initially was used water from the lfs would that make a differance? If I get it to peak at 6 and then should I do a partial water change or wait for it to drop. I'd rather take my time and do it properly.

No, water doesn't contain the bb colonies, they will form on your rocks and sand bed. After you dose it up to ~6 mg/l let the ammonia and nitrite fall back down to 0, you nitrates should be very high at this point, then do a couple large water changes to get your nitrates down to a safe level.

Back
Top Bottom