-First question-Salt into our diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelavguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok
First questions on Sumps. I have been quoted the following for a tank and case.

36 x 24 x 25 tall glass aquarium $200.00
Overflow and 2 holes $60.00
30 " tall oak stand $240.00
Oak canopy $130.00

How does that look?

Regarding: the Overflow and holes for the sump.
From the "Sumps Explained" article.....Sumps are not filtration? All they do is add water capacity, and thus stability to the environment...am I correct? What filtration system should be pared with a sump?

Sumps CAN be filtration, if you turn them into refugiums or have them hold LR rubble. They can also add capacity, and be a place to put all of your skimmers/heaters. An in-sump filter should go with a sump. A HOB skimmer could be used as well, but would just be hung off the side of the sump, not the tank.

$370 for a stand/canopy. OUCH. That's why I DIY. How good are you with tools and wood? Even though that price is on the high side of what I would expect, it still is reasonable as far as typical prices for LFS stands.

It's kinda like car repair... everyone needs it, but hardly anyone knows how to do it. :roll:

The best filtration for your system will be live rock. You can use a combination of dry/base/lace rock and enough live rock to seed the system (70/30 split) and with 1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon you would have all the filtration that you need. for your tank. Live rock from your LFS will cost you 7-10$/pound or you could order it online for 5$ shipped to your door with more color and life than you'd find in your LFS (www.liverocks.com). You can get base rock from them too and <2$/# I think.

I put 100# of base rock in my tank along with 30# of Keys rock and 30# of Gulf rock from LR.com. My dry base rock is now covered with growth including coraline, spaghetti worms and feather dusters and it has only been 4mo.

I have a Reef Ready tank (baffles, overflows, returns built into the tank) and love it. I wouldn't go any other way. You didn't mention lighting. That's where the budget usually hits the breaking point, lol. The lights are generally the most expensive part if you're going to go reef with the tank. Make sure there is enough space in the canopy to offer you many lighting options. That's what I'm struggling with right now.

LR can be used in bith or just one location depending on your preference. As phyl said you would want 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. That can be overwhelming in a tank if you dont like the clutter. If you buy the LR from someplace like www.liverocks.com you would want it all in the tank to view the great coralline algae colors and biodiversity it comes with. If you prefer swimming room in the tank you could move some or all of the LR into the sump.

I wouldn't move all of the LR into the sump... your fish will want somewhere to hide!

It is called live rock because it has the beneficial bacteria that process the cycle (ammo-nitrIte-nitrAte). Great live rock with have a beautiful purple coraline algae on it and come with other beneficial critters like spaghetti worms, clams, feather dusters, etc. You get plain ol' boring live rock from the LFS, usually. Devoid of much life other than the beneficial bacteria. From a great aquaculture rock shipper (ie. liverocks.com) you'll get Great live rock with more life than you can shake a stick at including starfish, crabs, clams, incredible color, the ocassional coral, etc.

For an update on my lr.com rock I recently recieved I counted 13 crabs,tons of feather dusters,a couple dozen of star fish, 4 shrimp, spagetti worms and tons of pods, lots of clams not to mention a few corals and some stuff that I'm not for sure if it has a name all in about 15 minutes earlier tonight. It's crazy all the life that comes on their rock.

Back
Top Bottom