First Reef Aquarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and a digital thermometer. The canister is an eheim. I doubt I will incorporate it. It is a 2234, the skimmer is a huge reef octopus skimmer and the wet dry i belive is 25 gallons. Not sure if I will use it or not.

A canister can work on a reef tank, I did it for quite some time and my corals grew like crazy. You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean or nitrates can buildup. Looks like you got a great deal. :) You can use the canister to run phosphate removers or carbon, you dont have to run it like a typical filter, it can be for chemical filtration. Thats a nice skimmer by the way, looks like my nwb 110 exactly so it should be more than sufficient for your tank.

A canister can work on a reef tank, I did it for quite some time and my corals grew like crazy. You just have to be diligent in keeping it clean or nitrates can buildup. Looks like you got a great deal. :) You can use the canister to run phosphate removers or carbon, you dont have to run it like a typical filter, it can be for chemical filtration. Thats a nice skimmer by the way, looks like my nwb 110 exactly so it should be more than sufficient for your tank.

x2 on this, couldn't have said it better myself, canisters are great if you clean them religiously, don't let anyone tell you what not to run ir what best for your tank. Your the only one who can make that decision, if you already have the canister use it and save some cash, plus you already have a wet dry as well so your pretty much set. The reef octopus is a great skimmer as well I was going to get one for myself before I picked up a hydor instead.

Well originally I just wanted the skimmer for $40 but I thought I would offer $70 for everything and he took it. I didn't plan on adding the canister filter to the tank but hey, I just might and see what kind of results I get.

x2 on this, couldn't have said it better myself, canisters are great if you clean them religiously, don't let anyone tell you what not to run ir what best for your tank. Your the only one who can make that decision, if you already have the canister use it and save some cash, plus you already have a wet dry as well so your pretty much set. The reef octopus is a great skimmer as well I was going to get one for myself before I picked up a hydor instead.

Yeah I couldn't pass up the deal. The wet dry I'm not so sure how to use it. I was planning on building my own sump but I may try to go this route not sure yet.

Trying to find time and money for this at the moment I have the glass ready for the sump just need to cut it

Thank you. I'm so excited about getting it up and running but it's sure a slow process I'll be keeping this updated for sure. I'll post pictures of the sump when it's ready. Figure I can sell the wet dry.

I'm wondering if this is a good deal for t5,lights

This 48" HO T5 fixture is near perfect and well kept. It works flawlessly. It has a built in digital timer for 3 settings. The 1st setting controls the first 2 bulbs. The 2nd setting controls the other 2 bulbs and the 3rd setting controls the moonlights. Done properly you can simulate dusk and dawn effects on you aquarium. It comes with adjustable legs to help avoid contact with moisture and fit variable sized tanks.

The fixture comes with 2 - 10,000k bulbs, 2 - actinic blue, 1 - 15,000k and 1 - actinic purple.

This fixture has no problems and works 100%. It has been well kept and is in like-new condition.

First $80 gets it...or...Will do partial trade for coral frags + cash.

For that price get a set of Chinese LED and save the cost of replacing the bulbs.

Well the leds I want run about 300 for both so so I figured why not but I'm guessing to replace the bulbs it will run about 100 so I still save some for the first year

I went with 2 full spectrum 120w led evergrow lights. Actually were very cheap at 265 and seem to have great reviews.

Just to keep this updated I just receive my two LED lights. I must say I am shocked at how well the build quality is 3 quite fans. The dimmer knobs feel very nice.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131120_184558.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131120_184558.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20131120_184625.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131120_184625.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 56
Do you have a link for these lights? I'll be upgrading to LEDs soon and am interested in exploring options. How bright are they?

Well all I did was eBay 120w led and these pop up in a set of two and say dimmable on the picture. Just look for the one with three fans. I'll most likely run these at 30% because they are extremely bright at 100%

Back
Top Bottom