First Reef Tank 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ordering tank, stand and canopy for my 120. Good reviews on the taotronics lights, plus a huge savings. 2 questions (1) what power heads would you use for a 120, and, (2) what test kits would you get for reef? I was looking at API saltwater and reef master kit.

I would get 2 koralia 1400's. Seems like alot, I know, but I think it will be perfect once you find the sweet spot in placing them. I have a 1400 and a 1250 aqueon running in my 90g. I used to have 2 1400's in my 125g so i think its a good fit.
As far as test kits, get the API for the basics like ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate. For the more advanced testing like phosphates, calcium and alkalinity and magnesium I use salifert and hanna testers. Red sea also makes some good kits for those.

Thanks Carey. You are a wealth of info. How high is your canopy? I would like to get the lights under the hood, but the standard seems to be 7". That seems to low. I think you want the lights a minimum of 7" above water with means you need probably 15 in to have enough room.

The canopy I have is super tall, when I bought the setup I got the brand new never used "short" canopy which about 7 inches which seems about right. The owner had the canopy I use custom made so he could put up the halides that were lighting his setup.

I have to find a way to pullup the wires so my panels hang higher, I am at 50% even less on power and am having concerns about too much light too close. I do have glass covers on two of the three sections, there is a screened section too, just havent finished making all the screens lol. SO I gotta figure some light is being blocked due to the glass covers.
I think I am the only person with these panels that is somewhat not happy with them and having issues.
lol

Good news. Just found out the company that makes the stands does a 15 inch canopy for reefs. I think I could put the taotronics lights inside the canopy.

Does anyone have a good plumbing diagram for a 120 gallon dual overflow?

Back
Top Bottom