First Reef Tank 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chester66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to start my new reef tank. Is 120 48 x 24 x 24 a good starting size. I want reef and fish, and a tank big enough to hold 1 or 2 larger fish (tangs). Also, has anyone had experience with Current Orbit Marine lighting? Thanks, looking forward to starting this. Been wanting to do this for years.

Planning on an Aqueon Pro Flex 4 and converting it to refugium. I also plan to cycle the tank and sum with uncured rock since it is new. Can you mix base rock with uncured live rock to start? If so, what would be the best % of each. Thanks in advance

Planning on an Aqueon Pro Flex 4 and converting it to refugium. I also plan to cycle the tank and sum with uncured rock since it is new. Can you mix base rock with uncured live rock to start? If so, what would be the best % of each. Thanks in advance

Yes you can! I'd do 80% base, 20% live but you can do even less live if you want

no it wont take longer to cycle! add a piece of shrimp or pure ammonia to start the cycle.. also I have a proflex sump and I like it.. what are you starting with the berlin method or refgium?

I have the current orbit over my 40b right now. LOVE LOVE it...but it wont be enough light for your tank, it doesnt have the punch needed to get through the water. :-( My tank is pretty shallow and it appears to be just enough light for my lps and softies. I am not even sure I could keep low light sps in my tank so its a no go for a deeper tank.

I have tanks lining all the walls in my living room and dining room. LOL Got a few in the kitchen for now as well. It's an addiction I swear. lol

that's awesome! my wife says im addicted to it as well. im getting a new 200 gallon tank to take up my living room wall and putting the one I have now in my basement. that has to be a lot of work with all those tanks, im always messing with the one I have I cant seem to leave it alone lol

Thanks for the input! I am going to set it up refugium. Carey, if you put multiple Current strips on, would that help, or do you run into the same problem?

The aquaticlife LED XS-uv appears to pack more of a punch. Any experience with that?

That fixture is pretty new, and I haven't heard of anyone using it yet, but it seems like it would work ok. The problem is, your tank will probably have a single brace running right through the center. Looking at the spec sheet on the 46" fixture, it shows 3 groups of LEDs, one being right over your center brace. You are going to be missing out on quite a few of those, since they will be blocked.
At around a thousand dollars, I would rather do a pair of these-
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black Shell | eBay
and keep the change. I have a tank with the same footprint as yours and 2 of these work perfectly over it.

As for the current lights, I dont think adding additional units will improve their ability to get to the bottom of the tank, they are just .25 watt leds.

But I also have the units Mr X just linked and they have all the punch you will need. :) Just make sure to get dimmable ones as they put out an immense amount of light.

Thanks, a lot cheaper too. If I read Mr. X right, they can be set up on timers? Is that right?

One more thing, how far above the water do they need to be? I will have a canopy, but doubt you could mount these to the top and have enough room. Again, thanks for your help, learning a lot. Bet your 180 is awesome!

Yes, they can be put on timers. If it's a short canopy, you might consider cutting 2 rectangular holes in the top of it and sitting the fixtures on top. They are not bad looking and that should give you the height you need. I usually like to keep them at least 8" above the water.

I saw in a customer review that someone cut holes in the canopy and installed acrylic so the lights didn't get water on them. I think I may get 2 165 w. Again, thanks!

Sure. that may work fine.
This is my tank. Two 120 watt units and they are 11" away from the water, and there's 100 PAR on the sand bed (my tank is only 21" tall though)-
img_2863937_0_fc069632087906b4ce89448eda638692.jpg

I have my ebay panels hooked up to my controller so they all go on and off together since I have 3 of them. :) But sure, just get the cheapo walmart timers and use them. I hooked up each line of white plugs to a three way splitter and the blues too so there are only two plugs that need to be plugged in. Here is a picture of how they hang in my canopy. I also have a very tall canopy so I just hung them with the hanging kits from a dowel that runs from end to end.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JBX7M/ref=oh_details_o05_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom