First reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hezzei

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was looking at setting up my first salt water tank in the next couple months was wondering what the best size tank would be best looking for something biggish, best to get a tank second hand or brand new and what would be the best way to go about it cheers.

Bigger is always better in a reef, more stable. There are numerous options. Skies the limit. Your budget will dictate your options.

Bigger is always better. More water means mistakes can be absorbed by the system easier. The solution is always dilution.
But when it comes down to it, the question is how big can you go...be it by room available, finances...so on. This is not a cheap hobby. What you are wanting to do with the system will tell you what will be best for you, be it a new tank, all in one tank, used tank...down to what is even available in your area.

Bigger is better? no, far from it...

Big enough? now that is a different story.

Go for a second-hand tank especially since it is your first.
You only pay about 20% the price of a new tank, with everything included.

Easy tanks fall between 30 - 50 gallons

If you have a 300 gallon sw setup, you have a 200 gallon sump and its fully automated with an apex system and you spend as much or as little time as you want with it because you also probably have a person that maintains it for you. That 500 gallon system is far more stable than a 200 gallon system which is far more stable than than a 50 gallon system.

Bigger is better, it's easy to say with confidence because I know this for a fact.

Good evening.
I'm chiming in again as I have removed several tit for tat posts. The point of these threads is to help the OP with his issue at hand, which going back and forth doesn't help.

That aside, you're right Desperado, not everyone can have a massive system. That doesn't change that larger water columns can be easier to maintain as all of that water dilutes possible issues, be it a small ammonia spike or a child throwing a drink into the sump. Unfortunate things happen, but diluting the issue is always best. Not just in total water amount in the system, but also via weekly and emergency water changes.

OP, I hope that this information is of help for you. If you have any other questions about getting things started up feel free to ask. Myself and many others have had many different setups over the years.

When it comes to sw bigger is always better. Get the largest tank you can afford. I had a 40 breeder for several years and even with a tank of that size things can go downhill very quickly.
However, I will say nano tanks can be very fun and rewarding but they’re much less forgiving than a large sw system. The only benefit with a smaller tank imo is the fact that you can do large wcs much easier on a 20 gallon tank than a 150 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom