first salt set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, first salt tank the seller is getting a divorce so he's getting out of the hobby until he figures out where he'll end up(poor guy) but I've been reading up on here for @ a year so I have a general idea, but the seller gave me everything he had equipment, fish, books, videos EVERYTHING, enough to fill a station wagon and utility trailer, and I was very careful on the pick up I had several buckets and two 25 gallon totes, the live rock went in the totes with water from the tank, the fish went in a bucket with aeration to keep o2 and circulation up, live sand went into another bucket and filled three more buckets with equipment and supplies, break down at his place took @ 2 hour and set up at home took @ 3 fish have been happy since sunday

Attachments

• image-1558765150.jpg
    image-1558765150.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 231
paul87 said:
Looks like a good deal! Noticed an eel in the pic as well.

the yellow and black fellows in the corner are the engineer gobies, they are very eel like ranging from @6" up to @10"

Oh wow OK. I've seen engineer gobies at the LFS but they are black with a white stripe down the side. But they are babies like 2-3 inches. Maybe the pattern changes when they age. Never seen one like that. Pretty awesome I'd like to have one but my tank isn't big enough.

Wow those engineers are SICK! I love my huge one. How many are there? 5?

Bummer for that guy, but quite the steal for you.
Watch the levels carefully these first weeks. A lot of times moving an established tank like that can kick up a lot of nasty stuff which can spike your levels.

Awesome looking gobys! Get some more pics when everything is settled!

yeah, from what I've read on them so far the juvies are as you described black with a white stripe, as they age the patterns just continue to slowly change, also from what I've read is that if you want to keepore than one you need a 75 or larger so it seems I've started off overstocked from the very beginning, but I like them so much I'll just have to keep a close eye on the water parameters

some pics

image-3905719540.jpg

yellowtail damsel

image-1375365869.jpg

big eyed squirrelfish, my wife and I agreed he/she will be named Lewis, very curious fish will come right up to the glass to check you out

image-3504341523.jpg

engineer gobie, sorry there aren't more pics of these guys but they're fast and don't seem to stay still very long

image-715698624.jpg

as yet unidentified mushrooms

image-4272183352.jpg

possibly aiptasia ?

image-179727436.jpg

and something we're calling purple nipples because that's what they look like all closed up, I zoomed in on this one that keeps opening up a little

The gobies are so awesome. The mushrooms are red mushrooms (actinodiscidae sp.) And that other is deffinately aiptasia. I would recommend aiptasia x and maybe a couple pepperment shrimp to get rid of that ASAP! And the big eye fish is a striped soldierfish, very awesome fish. Do you have a clean up crew (CUC)? Seems you also have a green hair algae problem! I'd get some blue leg hermits and a lawnmower blenny to try to get rid of that. There's alot of other fish that will eat it too and it looks like its getting out of control.

paul87 said:
The gobies are so awesome. The mushrooms are red mushrooms (actinodiscidae sp.) And that other is deffinately aiptasia. I would recommend aiptasia x and maybe a couple pepperment shrimp to get rid of that ASAP! And the big eye fish is a striped soldierfish, very awesome fish. Do you have a clean up crew (CUC)? Seems you also have a green hair algae problem! I'd get some blue leg hermits and a lawnmower blenny to try to get rid of that. There's alot of other fish that will eat it too and it looks like its getting out of control.

the gobies are fun but they're making me late to work, as I'm heading out the back door there they are all out and "dancing" around as if to say " stay and watch us a while". and after googling the striped soldierfish and the squirrelfish and comparing images to to my fish I'll have to stick with it as being a squirrelfish. also my cuc is under construction there is one large unidentified snail that came with the set up and I have so far added 3 astria snails, 1 nassarius( all the lfs had left) and an army of small hermits(red and blue leg) at 3 for $2.00 I told the girl at the lfs to give me $10 and a handfull of empty shells also, as I said before the seller is going through a divorce, so the neglect was pretty bad, when I got to the house the water was a couple inches low and there was slime on the exposed glass and algae covering every surface and even collecting in free floating clumps, so it's not perfect but is much, much better than it was and getting better day by day

OK that's good. Looks just like a striped soldierfish buy I could br wrong. U should still maybe consider a hair algae eating fish like a blenny of foxface or something. The really big snail you speak of may be a Turbo snail. Real great cleaners and get big too. IMO the red leg hermits get aggressive and will probably kill the blue legs. Unless they are scarlet reef hermits. I think they get alot bigger than the blueleg too. I've only ever dealt with blue leg. But your off to a good start.the aiptasia is what I would be worried about especially if you plan to get some corals.

right now the hermits are 1/2-1 inch so still pretty small and hard to tell after only 2 days if they're doing much good as far as adding more fish, I'm waiting a little to see how well I can manage what I already have before I get carried away with new additions

Good approach. You can always pull as much of the hair algae out as possible by hand. That way your crabs might can try to manage some of it. I forget the situation sometimes.LOL.

yep, slow and steady, build my knowledge before trying to build up the tank, hopefully I can learn from others examples before I learn from personal mistakes

I would like a couple of opinions, currently the tank is running 3 circulation pumps,a protein skimmer and a fluval 305, I have an oceanic model 75 sump not currently in use, I'm not terribly thrilled with the stock design that has a relatively small chamber for bio-balls with drip tray on top and the out flow to the external pump leaves @ 2.5-3" of water in the sump. my questions are would it be worth putting this under the 65 as is, or would it be better modified to hold live rock and a higher level of water more like a refugium or is it unnessesary with my current set up and just not worth the bother?

Wow! You added a lot more rock!! Lots of caves and crevices- fish will love those!

I like the before pic much much better. Way way too much rock for my taste but hey! I you like it that's all that matters.

Is it just a FOWLR or are you planning on doing corals? If corals I really think you should re think the scape a little.

Again just my opinion and what I say isn't gold.

Just looks over packed to me. My eyes are going all over the place. You wanna keep some nice lines and make it look like it was just plucked from the ocean.

Again just my opinion

The Con

Back
Top Bottom